PDA

View Full Version : Deleting Surfaces

sketchydave
05-23-2003, 04:43 PM
All I need to know how to do is delete some old surfaces. They're cluttering the image up and somehow I got duplicates of all of them.

I had posted earlier about this problem and was told to rename the file and it would go away. It worked once before, but all it did was rename the surface this time. So if anyone knows how to get rid of all the useless surfaces let me know.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/david.fobert/post.jpg

riki
05-23-2003, 06:08 PM
Just quit the APP, if the surface is not assigned to actual geometry, it won't be saved with the object.

If you want to get rid of the duplicate surfaces, then 'Edit by Scene' rather than by 'Object'.

But be careful though, make sure that this is what you really want to do.

marvin
05-23-2003, 07:17 PM
Try checking the object in layout. I've noticed that sometimes in modeler it keeps some you've replaced (also the Default stays even if you've placed a surface to each poly in modeler).

marvin

sketchydave
05-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Thats actually part of the problem. They are assigned to geometry. They are all duplicates, and I can't get rid of them. Its posing a problem because they are overlapping the UV map I created. I tried all the suggetions and they still stay there. I was hoping that I would be able to just cut or delete the extra surfaces, but it looks like I have to go through and scrap all of the surfaces and start over.

riki
05-24-2003, 05:50 PM
Select 'Edit by Scene' rather than by 'Object'. This will get rid of duplicate surfaces.

sketchydave
05-24-2003, 06:06 PM
I already tried that and they're still there.

sketchydave
05-24-2003, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the tip though riki, I do appreciate it.

stoehr
05-24-2003, 08:28 PM
Use the statistics window (w)
Select the surface to be removed
Hit (q)
and rename it "Default"

This way you can reset the surface back to the default grey (200, 200, 200)

All polys must have a surface name, and the default is "Default"

sketchydave
05-25-2003, 04:25 PM
Perfect, that did it. Unfortunately it wiped all the surfaces out (which was my fault), but that is fine by me. I saved all the ones I needed. Thank you!