PDA

View Full Version : Community project...?

lilrayray77
04-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Has anyone ever thought of starting up a community Project? I think it would be cool for people to work to gether, with lightwave, and create a short movie or something. What do you guys think?

geothefaust
04-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Has anyone ever thought of starting up a community Project? I think it would be cool for people to work to gether, with lightwave, and create a short movie or something. What do you guys think?

I totally like the idea. :) I don't have much time to devote. But I would love to do something like this.

lilrayray77
04-15-2006, 05:39 AM
I think it would really show how great a communtiy we really are. And plus it would be a greate learning experience for those such as myself who are still beginners.

hrgiger
04-15-2006, 08:48 AM
I would contribute some if I was interested in the project.

zapper1998
04-15-2006, 10:09 AM
me 2 sounds like fun

steamthunk
04-15-2006, 10:52 AM
I'll make a teapot. :D

DrTWT
04-15-2006, 11:10 AM
I'll make a teapot. :D

:dito:

cagey5
04-15-2006, 11:16 AM
I see this suggestion come up on a fairly regular basis. The problem in getting anything to conclusion. What's really needed at the outset is a clear and focussed idea taken forward with a professional approach.
Projects like this tend not to work when done by commitee. You need a producer or director at the top of the tree and a supporting cast willing to take direction and deliver what's asked for, rather than what they'd prefer to do. You need the project broken down to modelling surfacing etc, and given to the people best able to deliver that single element.

And above all don't get too ambitious. Start off with a really simple animation first, one that will define the working roles, see that it works and then follow it up with something a bit more ambitious. Tiny steps..

Done right, a whole lot of people could learn a whole lot seeing a project come together. I'd like to see it happen too.

prospector
04-15-2006, 11:29 AM
I got a box around to hide behind :thumbsup:

lilrayray77
04-15-2006, 11:40 AM
I think it could be done much easier if everyone involved can come up with some quality work that they have already done. Even if you have to do some reworking on something to get it up to par, is better then having to go from scratch. Then we could see what we have, and go from there...Think of a story that will work with what we got...

Sounds like a good idea. Plus if we gathered a lot of recources, it would be a great place for people to look incase they needed something in prticular.

hrgiger
04-15-2006, 01:23 PM
I don't think that everyone showcasing their work first thing is the way to go. If you really want to get things moving, I really think the first thing to do is come up with the scene/setting/story idea that everyone can agree on. Then work should be allocated on a voluntary basis and then dictated by a director. For example, someone says I'd like to model and so a director of the group can say, ok, you model the trash can, teapot, and karaoke machine (going off a master list of things to model for the project). Just my $.02.

kylekoch
04-15-2006, 02:37 PM
I would love to be involved with something like this. Im a good modeler but dont know animation yet, would be a chance to be part of something.
kyle

Amurrell
04-15-2006, 02:43 PM
It would be somewhat of a logistical nightmare, but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

ShawnStovall
04-15-2006, 02:43 PM
I think it would really show how great a communtiy we really are. And plus it would be a greate learning experience for those such as myself who are still beginners.

:agree: I too myself am a beginner.

lilrayray77
04-15-2006, 03:20 PM
If we can get enough people interested (which we already have a bundle full) I think it's worth trying to start a simple project. Perhaps a 10 second animation just to get an idea of how things would work. I think it is a good idea, though, to select leaders. We probably shouldn't rush into anyhting though.

Dexter2999
04-16-2006, 02:09 PM
I don't think that everyone showcasing their work first thing is the way to go. If you really want to get things moving, I really think the first thing to do is come up with the scene/setting/story idea that everyone can agree on. Then work should be allocated on a voluntary basis and then dictated by a director. For example, someone says I'd like to model and so a director of the group can say, ok, you model the trash can, teapot, and karaoke machine (going off a master list of things to model for the project). Just my $.02.

I see where you are going with that train of thought and it is not without merit. HOWEVER, I also see the benefit involved with someone having a great model that serves as your HERO PROP that inspires a story. If someone out there has a great alien model done, and or someone else has a killer space ship...and maybe the ship has a Robot...you could well be on the way to writing your story...although at this point it could turn out dangerously close to TRIPPING THE RIFT.

I do believe in STORY FIRST. I'm just saying I have heard of live action feature films that were written around what locations were available. Why look at the Ed Wood films...lol. If location or props can dictate a course of action to a live action film I think models could give direction to an animated film.

Bog
04-16-2006, 03:46 PM
One thing that'd be really useful for this would be a Subversion server, where everyone was able to share their models, textures et al, but that would also keep back-track versions handy so one person making a boo-boo couldn't trash the whole thing. Also deleting "Save Object" from all members' File menus, so they can only Save Incremental ;)

I'd be open to maybe releasing some of my older models under a Creative Commons Licence, if it'd help. Dexter's right, though, you need a story to tell first, or it's not going to be fun to watch.

Bog
04-16-2006, 04:08 PM
So pick an existing story, and work to that. Disney do it all the time ;)

Maybe a limerick - that could be funny, and brief by it's very nature. Not to mention being solidly in the Public Domain.

lilrayray77
04-16-2006, 04:44 PM
This all sounds good. Start small get big right? What we could do is start a Wiki so everyone could edit the story and make editions.

Bog
04-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Oh, give me a clone
Of my own flesh and bone
With its Y-chromosome changed to X
And when it is grown
Then my own little clone
Will be of the opposite sex.

-courtesy of The Good Doctor

paulmcg1
04-16-2006, 05:59 PM
Id be willing to work on it as well...would be a great project. Anyone have any ideas on what we could possibly do for the project?

Bog
04-16-2006, 06:28 PM
Bry, your inbox is full. Nuke a message or so from your inbox, please.

Bog
04-16-2006, 07:02 PM
"Totally mad.
Utter nonsense.
But we'll do it because it's brilliant nonsense."

Go for it :)

prospector
04-16-2006, 11:18 PM
Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down and broke his crown
And Jill came tumbling after.

Now what if it went like this;

Scene opening:

camera pans over meadow of grass and dandilions to where Jack and Jill are skipping up to the well on a hill.

Announcer " when your out having fun and doing chores, the last thing you need to worry about is hospital bills"

Camera zooms into Jack who has fallen and broken his crown

Announcer " well that is just what Jack is facing now"

Scene;camera focuses on jill
action; and in her haste to save him Jill tumbles and rolls after him.

Announcer " Knowing that a sign should have been placed on the hill by owner stating that it may be slippery, call the law offices of Ying & Yang,
where we can take away the worries of medical bills AND get you millions for pain and suffering"

"So call 555-5555 and jour share of the lawsuit pie now"

Silkrooster
04-17-2006, 12:15 AM
If you guys are serious about doing this. I am willing to create a dedicated forum for you guys to use, plus you can use my wiki as well.
Silk

lilrayray77
04-17-2006, 05:57 AM
Now what if it went like this;

Scene opening:

camera pans over meadow of grass and dandilions to where Jack and Jill are skipping up to the well on a hill.

Announcer " when your out having fun and doing chores, the last thing you need to worry about is hospital bills"

Camera zooms into Jack who has fallen and broken his crown

Announcer " well that is just what Jack is facing now"

Scene;camera focuses on jill
action; and in her haste to save him Jill tumbles and rolls after him.

Announcer " Knowing that a sign should have been placed on the hill by owner stating that it may be slippery, call the law offices of Ying & Yang,
where we can take away the worries of medical bills AND get you millions for pain and suffering"

"So call 555-5555 and jour share of the lawsuit pie now"

Who would be held liable? lol. It's quick simple yet ammusing.

paulmcg1
04-17-2006, 08:01 AM
If you guys are serious about doing this. I am willing to create a dedicated forum for you guys to use, plus you can use my wiki as well.
Silk

Thats wonderful...guys lets think of some more ideas, just throw them out there. I think we should focus on doing something that is'nt too hard both ways. What I mean is, it should be attainable for the newbie and the veteran. So I was thinking nothing realistic...maybe a short 3d film. Now anyone have any ideas?

What should the length of this film be, if we choose a short 3d film? I think around 3-5 minutes is good...what do you guys think....throw your ideas in :thumbsup:

Paul Mcgrade

Dexter2999
04-17-2006, 01:07 PM
If you decide if this is the final copy or if you want to tweak it, my room mate is a DJ and said he will do the Voice Over at the Radio station and save it out as an MP3 for the group to work with.

It occured to me you could have blurb like:

"Hear what others have to say about their experience with our firm."

CUT TO: Humpty Dumpty sitting on a pile of gold coins.

"When I had my accident, all the king's men said their was nothing they could do. I didn't know what I was going to do. But then I called Yin and Yang and they got me the money I needed for medical bills."

That might be a little advanced if someone wants to take on a lip sync character modeling challenge.

Just a suggestion. I thought about him saying something like "I was all broken up."or "I just fell apart." but I didn't know if that would be too cheesy.

lilrayray77
04-17-2006, 01:51 PM
With lipsyncing, do you base the animation off of an already recorded voice or vice-verca?

Bog
04-17-2006, 02:02 PM
With lipsyncing, do you base the animation off of an already recorded voice or vice-verca?

Always, always, always lip-sync to a voice track. Otherwise, you don't know where to put the phonemes.

prospector
04-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Yea voice comes first

paulmcg1
04-18-2006, 11:55 AM
next?

Dexter2999
04-18-2006, 12:10 PM
lol, first record the script.
Then time it out on a dope sheet.
Plot your phonems on the time line.
Now you are set to start the character anim. Hopefully using Morph mixer because your premade all the phonem targets as Morphs in Modeller.

At least that is how I would go about it.

lilrayray77
04-18-2006, 06:40 PM
@bryphi77 Don't give up, It's good to get these ideas down, lets give it time, and see what becomes of this.

Dexter2999
04-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Im printing out the outline of the Jack and Jill Lawsuit skit and I may take a crack at tweaking it. I will get a soundtrack for it. If you guys want to take a crack at it. I think there needs to be a concensus of what the project is. Also if this is the story we want to work on perhaps a talented artist type out there may want to start with some character sketches and we could use some storyboards.
I think this could be a nice exercise for beginners to learn the process as well as the experience of collaboration.

lesterfoster
04-18-2006, 10:11 PM
:agree:

This looks like a fantastic idea to me. It is something that I am interested in getting involved in. But I only have time to contribute one or two elements. What I want to see is a script, and a story bored. What I can commit my self to, is to contribute one or two objects for the project that I am capable of making.

What I hope to achieve, is to be part of a LightWAVE community project that benefits the LightWAVE community. Ow and to see my name in the credits.

I think that if this is to work. Some one needs to manage it. As lilrayray77 started this thread. I think that lilrayray77 should manage the project.

If we go with the Jack and Jill thing, than can I make the pail of water, minus the water. As I don’t think that I can model the water. Or if we go with the Humpty Dumpty thing, than I would be happy to model just one of the Kings horses. I think that it would be interesting to see how some other LightWAVE’rs would model the other horses. Not to mention the King’s men.

And it would be interesting to see how others are going to animate all of the scenes and how it all comes together at the end.

Silkrooster
04-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Here you go... Have fun
Registration will be required, for both forum and the wiki. This will help control who is accessing the data. Hope you understand. BTW registering is free.
Silk

http://www.silkrooster.com/forum/index.php?c=10

http://www.silkrooster.com/wiki/index.php?title=Community_Project

DiedonD
04-19-2006, 06:00 AM
Give me a peace of the action to. So far I feel comfortable with modeling, though animating too would be good for me. How do we do this? Who gets what done? Who is modeling Jack? And who Jilta? Anybody working on their environment, which is up the hill as far as I understood.
And I went on the site that Silk provided but there were no replies in any forum. Would someone pick me up?
Ill read replies later on, but I will read them. See ya.

IMPERIAL
04-19-2006, 06:15 AM
well I hope its not too late for some other ideas...

this is something I wanted to do looooong time ago but never made it.

Fade in.."Becarefull what you wish for..." Fade Out
Fade In
Camera pan from a clock on the wall (showing 3pm), across the room window with sunlight falling to the bed...
in the bed, man is sleeping, turning and waking up
He get up from the bed, streching, and he is being anoyed by the sunlight
He step to the window, out side is all green and paradise like.. kids playing.. grass and flowers all over.
He pull down the curtain on which is terminator poster.

He sits on the desk with high tech PC on it and turning it up, presses play on his cd player and music starts..(some metal band..)
Opens lightwave and loads half made scene with machines attacking building.. kind of ...war is going on...

He is moving figures inside the scene, play the scene (full render anim), stops it (turning to wireframe)
Adjusting things (fireing of some machine to some object)..play, stop, adjust.... and so on
He turn off the pc..fade to black...
Fade in to him turning the pc.. making more adjustments..(few times)

Fade in to close facial expresions. bores on his face, red eyes, black under eyes..tired...
It is sunrise..sunlight rays showing trough the curtain... he stand and pull up the curtain.. and there....
all the same things that he was making on the pc is happening out side.. no more green gras or kids playing..
sadness on his face... extreme emotional expressions.
fade to black...

Fade in, next morning.. 9AM... he stands up.. pull up the curtain with terminator poster on it
He looks out the window.. same thing .. droids.. machines...war..
He sit and turns the pc...press play on the cd.. and "what a woderfull world" starts...
He start creating a great grass valey..paradise like outside..looks similar or same to the view from the begining of the movie.
Animating kids playing basked ball...wireframe.. full anim.. stops.. plays... so on.
helping some kid in the animation to score...
(just when the song ends "what a wonderfull world") fade out
Fade in "...it might come true" fade out.

There are almost all aspects of 3d covered exept lipsync,
but if the metal song is good(ex. "seek and destroy" from metallica) , he can sing along while making the anim.
room scene can use good radiosity
characters can use good sasquash hair and animation, also all the green terrain.
explotions will require hypervoxels...hardbody dynamics.
the room will have to be extreme detailed with all the things on the desk..

I know it sounds complicated and too much work... but.. I bealeave it can be done.

TomR
04-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Many good ideas here :thumbsup: I'm a beginner and I feel most comfortable with modeling and I would realy like to participate. Just give me a task and I do my best:)

Dexter2999
04-19-2006, 06:24 PM
Okay, so I propose we start with a story. Lets concentrate on brainstorming ideas. Lets have a deadline of say one week? After that we will take a poll listing all submissions and the winner is the one we will persue?
I am not discounting anything already submitted.
Jack and Jill.
Humpty Dumpty.
Man modeling his reality.

Is this cool with everyone?

New Idea!!! If there is sufficient interest in this project maybe we could split into groups and make it a competition where each group persues a different story idea. What do you think?

lesterfoster
04-19-2006, 08:46 PM
Regardless of what direction that this community project moves towards. I think that it is a fantastic idea. And I would like to model something for it. I think that it would benefit the community and I hope that this community project takes on as many people to contribute to it as possible.

I would like to show the final production to my family, friends and co-workers and say to them, I made that part or object for this production..

IMPERIAL
04-19-2006, 10:03 PM
just thinking:

the story is most important, everyone must fee comfortable with it...or at least with some part of it. everyone has already imagined some part of every story and I bet it looks a lot different from the other persons ideas.
so pool for the script is great idea.

teams for different story is maybe great for later projects becouse right now it will divide all the CPU pover, Ideas, talents,.. everything will be 3 times less then it could be. we can experiment with everything later but for now i think it should be one story, everyone included.

DiedonD
04-20-2006, 01:20 AM
I thought you were done with the story and all and were going through with modeling it already in that site that Silk provided.

If this is the case, than I too think that the story is not only the beginning point but it should also have a solid lock in the end. MEaning there shouldnt be any changes to that story for any reason such as: "Too hard to do it", "I just came up with a better one", or "It would be simpler if..." etc.

I would like the story to have explosions of some sort. And dramatic moves or so. But thats just me. Heres a story. A man blasts off his targets car to bits, with his special high caliber gun. Upon slaming the door to enter his target, he finds out the target was waiting for him, and then he becomes the target, and we can choose here how would he deal with the first guy that blasted the car. He could outmanouver his gun and beat him to the ground (He should be well built for this), he could also have a gun of his own (...anyone with a gun) or he could have magical powers (misterious looking).

Actually Im already working on something like that, so I thought I share that with you.

Any comments about the story?

Whichever the story we come up at the end, count me in to do anything: Model, Animate, special FX, though Ive covered modeling best and do feel more comfortable with it.

And since Library you are the selected director, could you organize who does what parts please, the energy is booming for creation in here.

You know...Im already working as an executive coordinator, and do have leading and organizing skills, but leave me when all else fails, for its a time issue for me, both for commitment and global timing.
Thanks.

lilrayray77
04-20-2006, 04:37 AM
Hey thanks silkrooster. Lets perhaps put each of the stories on the wiki and allow people to make minor edits and see what becomes of them.

Dexter2999
05-28-2006, 01:51 PM
so this is dead? I don't see any posts on Silk's wiki.

Gui Lo
05-29-2006, 10:19 PM
This is a great idea but it needs focus and agreement on all the steps taken so that people are kept on the same page.

How about holding a vote for each step?
That is stories, say, are all submitted before a cut off date and then we all vote on which story gets produced. Having agreed on the story we can submit ideas for the storyboard, and then have another vote, and character models and so on. Finally we could even make all the footage available so that the best edited version is chosen.

In this way everyone gets to choose and the character modellers that are chosen know that their work/time will not be wasted in the future. Discussions will come to an end as the vote seals the communities verdict and all can move on.

IMPERIAL
05-29-2006, 11:39 PM
Since this forum is live again, here are things i was considering for modeling for the story...(not skiping voting for stories... just giving ideas of what is waiting for that one.)

objects to model:

ROOM
walls,window,curtain,
desk
bed, blanket,pillow
chair
carpet, wooden floor
pc tower case
beakout box for VT
21'' monitor, desktop wall paper (or 2)
keyboard
mouse, pad (or tablet)
14'' video monitor
dv-svhs recorder
beta sp recorder
desk lamp
audio system, (and remote?)
8 port switcher
headphones
ashtray, cigarete pack, light
phone (and/or mobile phone)
lightwave books
clock
air conditioner
TV, tv table
coffee cup
cables, pins
beer cans :)
el. guitar
trash can?
CDs

OUTDOOR
-first part-
buildings and the main building where the room is
roads, crosroads,lights,cars....
basketball (socerball) field, ball
river
trees, plants (VUE?)
benches
kids playground
birds
trash cans
mountains in the background

-second part-
any kind of:
droids
flying vehicles
robots
starwars like destroyers
laser cannons towers
crans lifting huge concrete blocks for covering the river
spy droid (instead of bird)
anything you can think of

CHARACTERS
the man
kids, male - female
bird (that will fly cose to the window, later replaced with spy droid)

HYPERVOXELS
several different explotions (cannon hit, fighter fire hit, fighter crashing into building, building exploding.....)
sparks from scratching (fighter from figher, fighter from building....)
fire
black smoke, white smoke from buldings and ground

Amurrell
05-30-2006, 10:15 PM
Nice list IMPERIAL, but do we have a story yet and a time that the story takes place, or are you thinking of farming objects to use in a story? Or am I just missing a story somewhere?

IMPERIAL
05-31-2006, 11:37 AM
I guess you missed the story..so here it is a bit changed. This is only my suggestion for a story.
__________________________________________________ ______________
Fade in.."Becarefull what you wish for..." Fade Out
Fade In
Camera pan from a clock on the wall (showing 3pm), across the room window with sunlight falling to the bed...
in the bed, man is sleeping, turning and waking up
He get up from the bed, streching, and he is being anoyed by the sunlight
He step to the window, out side is all green and paradise like.. kids playing.. grass and flowers all over, a bird fly by his window or land on it.
He pull down the curtain on which is terminator (half man half machine) poster.

He sits on the desk with high tech PC on it and turning it up, presses play on his cd player and music starts..(some metal band..)
Opens lightwave and loads half made scene with machines attacking building.. kind of ...war is going on...

He is moving figures inside the scene, play the scene (full render anim), stops it (turning to wireframe)
Adjusting things (fireing of some machine to some object)..play, stop, adjust.... and so on
He turn off the pc..fade to black...
Fade in to him turning the pc.. making more adjustments..(few times)

Fade in to close facial expresions. bores on his face, red eyes, black under eyes..tired...
It is sunrise..sunlight rays showing trough the curtain... he stand and pull up the curtain.. and there....
all the same things that he was making on the pc is happening out side.. no more green gras or kids playing..
sadness on his face... extreme emotional expressions.
fade to black...

Fade in, next morning.. 9AM... he stands up (he is waked up by some explotion or the spy bird reminding him that he is not productive enough)..
He looks out the window.. same thing .. droids.. machines...war..
He pull down the curtain on wich is wonderful landscape poster.
He sit and turns the pc...press play on the cd.. and "what a woderfull world" starts...
He start creating a great grass valey..paradise like outside..looks similar or same to the view from the begining of the movie.
Animating kids playing basked ball...wireframe.. full anim.. stops.. plays... so on.
helping some kid in the animation to score...
(just when the song ends "what a wonderfull world") fade out
Fade in "...it might come true" fade out.
__________________________________________________ _____________

There are almost all aspects of 3d covered exept lipsync,
but if the metal song is good(ex. "seek and destroy" from metallica) , he can sing along while making the anim.
room scene can use good radiosity
characters can use good sasquash hair and animation, also all the green terrain.
explotions will require hypervoxels...hardbody dynamics.
the room will have to be extreme detailed with all the things on the desk..

For this post to be complete i will paste the object required again.
objects to model:

ROOM
walls,window,curtain,
desk
bed, blanket,pillow
chair
carpet, wooden floor
pc tower case
beakout box for VT
21'' monitor, desktop wall paper
keyboard
mouse, pad (or tablet)
14'' video monitor
dv-svhs recorder
beta sp recorder
desk lamp
audio system, (and remote?)
8 port switcher
headphones
ashtray, cigarete pack, light
phone (and/or mobile phone)
lightwave books
clock
air conditioner
TV, tv table
coffee cup
cables, pins
beer cans :)
el. guitar
trash can?
CDs
Posters fot the curtain (terminator like and landscape)

OUTDOOR
-first part-
buildings and the main building where the room is
roads, crosroads,lights,cars....
basketball (socerball) field, ball
river
trees, plants (VUE?)
benches
kids playground
birds
trash cans
mountains in the background

-second part-
any kind of:
droids
flying vehicles
robots
starwars like destroyers
laser cannons towers
crans lifting huge concrete blocks for covering the river
spy droid (instead of bird)
anything you can think of

CHARACTERS
the man
kids, male female
bird (that will fly cose to the window, later replaced with spy droid)

HYPERVOXELS
several different explotions (cannon hit, fighter fire hit, fighter crashing into building, building exploding.....)
sparks from scratching (fighter from figher, fighter from building....)
fire, black smoke, white smoke from buldings and ground

well.. thats it so far. I can not draw even my life depands on it... so we need someone for the storyboard. I can provide reference pics for all real things to be modeled.... machines and droids will require imagination and again drawing skils to make referece pics.