PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Arrives

Hiraghm
05-23-2003, 11:35 AM
Whoot, just in time for my b-day, the Lightwave 3D I bought just arrived yesterday. I'm surprised and impressed. It's head and shoulders above the comparable 3D software. When I clicked the pointer on the scene and moved it.. and the scene rotated in realtime, I nearly giggled.

Did I mention it was LW 3D version 3.5 for the Amiga?

The manual said it requires 8 meg to run, but I only have 5 meg on my A3000. I still managed to load and view several objects and scenes with no problems. I haven't tried rendering yet, however. I plan to install Gigamem (virtual memory) soon, which should alleviate my memory problem some, even if it will slow down LW.

I have a couple of questions I hope someone might be able to answer. First, does anyone know if it's possible to, at some point, upgrade my 3.5 to a later version, maybe even 5.6?
Second, does anyone know if LightRave is worth using with a standalone version of Lightwave (I got it along withthe Lightwave)? I've got the dongled LW 3.5, but reading the documentation on my LightRave (toaster emulator,) it seems to add features, but I don't know if those features are compensations for a lack of a Toaster or just added features period?

CTRL+X
05-23-2003, 11:54 AM
:confused:

Hiraghm
05-23-2003, 12:10 PM
Oh yeah, one more question...

Since it has a parallel port dongle, does anyone have a clue as to whether the Amiga standalone LW will run under the Amiga Forever emulation? Now that would kick...

Ctrl-X I'm talking about a used LW 3.5 for the Amiga I bought via an Ebay auction, along with a bunch of other Amiga software (but it was the LW I wanted... ;) )

Alliante
05-23-2003, 12:33 PM
oooh I wonder how much that would be to upgrade to 7.5 :D

Aegis
05-23-2003, 12:44 PM
NewTek do allow cross-upgrades from Amiga LW to PC/Mac 7.5 - I think it's a little more expensive than the 5.6 -> 7.5 upgrade but it's still a good way of getting a full copy of 7.5 (and of course 8 now) on the cheap.

One thing you will have to do is register your Amiga LW with NewTek and they'll need contact details for the previous owner to transfer it into your name (unless it was a sealed package).

LightRave was an illegal hack which allowed Amiga users to run versions of LightWave prior to 3.5 without the Video Toaster - the only benefit LightRave provided was to allow Toaster LightWave (NTSC) to run in PAL resolutions - it's pretty much useless to you.

LightWave Amiga should work under UAE but you'll have to run it in PAL/NTSC screenmodes (no P96 support) and you may have to fiddle with your BIOS to get the dongle recognised.

Have you checked out the moving solid wireframe preview in Modeler? How about the left/right wipes between Modeler and Layout? Only Amiga made it possible! :)

Matt
05-23-2003, 12:45 PM
why would you want an ancient version of LW?

Hiraghm
05-23-2003, 04:15 PM
Oh, I don't care about cross-upgrading to PC LW. My single-seat is all I can handle atm. But I never got to use LW Amiga, except to demo it briefly as part of the Toaster once in a great while. But it might be nice to have the latest version available for the amiga, to see what it could do.

And I wanted Amiga LW for the same reason I still have an Amiga; for the same reason I have an original IBM PC; for the same reason I run an MSDOS box; for the same reason I have an O2 sitting in the corner. It's the same reason some guys have '57 Chevies in the garage, or the same reason my dad used an old Merchant calculator as big as a PC right up til he died.

It's fun to tinker with things you once lusted after but at the time couldn't afford. :D

I'll register it if Newtek wants me to, but I don't see a lot of reason to do so. I've got the dongle and the registration number, but I don't know that the guy I bought it from was the previously registered owner. I won't be looking to upgrade it, since I have my 7.5c to upgrade from, already. And I won't be expecting any official customer support for it either. Seems to me it's basically an old version of LW I've effectively taken out of circulation.

I didn't know that Lightrave was illegal. I've seen it advertised somewhere recently (can't remember where.. software hut?), and it came fully packaged and documented.

I need to check out that preview in modeller and the wipes you mentioned, Aegis ;)

CTRL+X
05-23-2003, 08:18 PM
LOL.. I know exactley what you mean now

Im the same way.. still run 5.6

Sittin over there on my desk is a DOS box running DOS version of 3d studio4 world builder1, animator pro, autocad 11,,,etc etc etc.. Im a collector of the ancient DOS stuff that relates to 3dstudio

And it is very much like owning a classic car that you take out of the garage once in awhile on a sunny afternoon.... it may be old but damn it sure rides nice and smooth!!!!

Vincent Brumbac
05-23-2003, 11:38 PM
Very cool! I still have my boxed version of LW3.5 for the Amiga with all those floppy disks and manuals. I also have the 4.0 CD version as well. Never got the 5.0 Amiga version but I did upgrade to the 5.6 pc version. Sadly I don't have my Amiga. It was the 4000 model.

Vincent D. Brumback