PDA

View Full Version : ClothFX variation for each flag

byronpetch
04-14-2006, 04:19 AM
Hi all,

Im getting a little confused with ClothFX and wind effectors. I need to create a scene with three flags and im getting in a bit of a flap....erhum...yes well anyway ..

Ive never used cloth effects or wind effectors before but to my surprise it seemed quite easy to apply the clothFX to one flag then add a wind dynamic using the dynamics tab under object properties. I then made the wind a bit more erratic by adding a texture channel to the wind direction.

the confusion came when I duplicated the flag a couple of times. i thought I would change the wind dynamic on each flag a bit so they all flap in a slightly different way. Each time I did this I found they still moved in the same way. I then realized that even though each flag had its own wind dynamic applied to it they all had exactly the same settings. As I changed one it also changed the others.

Im a little confused and would appreciate it if somebody could throw a little light on the matter for me.

prospector
04-14-2006, 04:43 AM
did you dup them in layout?

byronpetch
04-14-2006, 05:00 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I did duplicate them in Layout. Ive since been looking at other sample scenes and am starting to realise that perhaps I should have applied a wind dynamic to a null object rather than each flag.

Matt

HowardM
04-14-2006, 05:05 AM
yes, Wind is its own entity so you can move it, rotate, etc....

you were basically making the actual Flag object a Wind too, but not sure why all 3 were changed at once...thats really wierd...

if you want different winds, you need multiple wind objects...

byronpetch
04-14-2006, 05:08 AM
Many thanks. I think the penny is starting to drop.