PDA

View Full Version : LW-9 Upgrade + Sharbor + canada border

Speedmonk42
04-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Ok, I ordered my upgrade from sharbor, and the other day recieved a box with Vue in it.

Will a second box be shipping when LW is done?

I was charged 120 dollars by UPS. I would rather not have that happen again. I was charged 50 dollars for brockerage, the rest was tax.

I hope I am not going to have pay the brockerage twice on one order and quite possibly depending on the 'value' of the shipment pay the taxes twice.

hairy_llama
04-13-2006, 04:15 PM
Ouch. I hope they have a downloadable version for you!

lesterfoster
04-13-2006, 07:33 PM
Do you have a local NewTEK rep in your area? If you had one, you probably would not have had the extra charges.

And a NewTEK rep could help you with other things, such as keeping your system working.

I buy all of my NewTEK stuff from my NewTEK rep, and the service is fantastic. Regardless of what my current problem is.

lesford
04-15-2006, 09:49 AM
UPS is evil when it comes to the border. They gouge in any way they can and then say that they are not responsible for overnight delivery across the border. I had an overnight package take two weeks once.

I now refuse to deal with shippers unless they can Fedex. Fedex is more expensive, but they don't hide the costs (at least on overnight air) and they actually deliver. I have never ever had a good experience with UPS international.

Les

ColinCohen
04-15-2006, 12:58 PM
I too had a horrible experience with UPS International when I lived in Europe. It took them more than a month to deliver an important package just a few countries away. And they only did because I called the local director personally and begged him for 20 minutes.

I would recommend DHL. International delivery is their specialty.

Nicolas Jordan
04-15-2006, 01:29 PM
After hearing that I consider myself lucky to have a Newtek Dealer here in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada for my convenience. If they didn't have a dealer here then I would have to deal with a rep at least an 7-8 hour drive away in Calgary or try and order over the phone.

krimpr
04-15-2006, 06:15 PM
I have had huge brokerage with UPS into Canada too. UPS is the worst. I don't ever seem to get dinged by Fed-Ex though, or DHL. Not long ago I bought a Lightwave training DVD bundle and had to ante up almost $80.00 to the UPS chick when the truck pulled up. She's kinda cute so I didn't want to look like an idiot and freak out. But I'm making a note not to use UPS with any more personal, software related purchases. :agree:

mac
04-16-2006, 04:28 AM
A few years ago I ordered mojoworld from pandromeda in the states, they sent it out as soon as they got my order. Canada customs held onto it for 2 1/2 months before they cleared it. I called them one day and asked them if they knew where my mojo was :-) Apparently budget cut backs reduced CC to a skelton crew.

Safe Harbor
04-17-2006, 07:40 AM
Unfortunately, we can't control what UPS charges for import fees and taxes, or even IF they will - sometimes they don't, sometimes they do. UPS, FedEx, Mail, DHL - they are all governed by the same laws, so it's totally beyond me why UPS has the reputation for the extra fees. We have shipped all methods and it seems to be a crapshoot whether or not the customer has to pay extra taxes/duties.

Our site clearly states this in the Canada and International sections: http://www.sharbor.com/help/shipping.html If anyone from outside the US is unsure of what the fees will be, they need to check with their local customs or UPS office before ordering.

Steve McRae
04-17-2006, 07:59 AM
Unfortunately, we can't control what UPS charges for import fees and taxes, or even IF they will - sometimes they don't, sometimes they do. UPS, FedEx, Mail, DHL - they are all governed by the same laws, so it's totally beyond me why UPS has the reputation for the extra fees. We have shipped all methods and it seems to be a crapshoot whether or not the customer has to pay extra taxes/duties.

Our site clearly states this in the Canada and International sections: http://www.sharbor.com/help/shipping.html If anyone from outside the US is unsure of what the fees will be, they need to check with their local customs or UPS office before ordering.

BROKERAGE FEES ARE NOT TAXES. UPS Ground charges their own "brokerage" fee. A brokerage fee is what the company charges to 'expedite' it though customs - notice the word 'expedite' is in quotes) It can add up into the hundreds of dollars on items that have a high monetary value.

What is a crapshoot with the other services/companies is that you occasionally will not pay for duty (a Tax - but you should not be paying for this on software anyway), GST (a Tax) etc. Sometimes you even pay a "Brokerage Fee" but with the other companies it is very small or nothing at all.

I will not deal with any company that ships via UPS Ground exclusively because, frankly, I can't afford it. UPS Express is different. Fed Ex or USPS, in my experience has been the most efficient and reasonable way to go.

Safe Harbor
04-17-2006, 08:42 AM
Thank you for the information. I'll let our shipping manager know.

Do FedEx and DHL have brokerage fees? We prefer to ship Mail to Canada, but due to their insurance limitations can't always use them.

dfp1
04-17-2006, 08:56 AM
Hi,

Had the same issue with an order I made with Kurv Studios. They shipped UPS to Canada and the UPS brokerage fee was more than the total fee for the DVD's from Kurv. I really liked the Kurv product and it was well done, but I will never order from them again because of the ridiculous brokerage fee from UPS. They should also change their Canadian carrier as well because, as mentioned by others, I have never had these issues with Fedex. Purolator or United States Postal Service.

Imagine. a brokerage fee (not taxes, or duties, just a frickin fee for them to walk across that international line with my package) that's more than the cost of the product you are receiving.

Don.

lesford
04-18-2006, 04:18 PM
The difference with Fedex overnight air is that the brokerage fees are included, so although the price seems higher, it is the price.

UPS is charging on both ends, and not offering advertised service. In my book that's stealing AND lying. They should offer a price for the shipping, and then stick by it, and if they call the service overnight it should be overnight or they should call it something else that reflects the reality.

I don't care if they have great reasons for not meeting their commitments. If they can't meet them they shouldn't make them.

Every single time I deal with them they fail.

Les

nurbman
04-19-2006, 12:34 AM
Not to beat a dead horse but ....I learned the hard way about UPS Ground a long time ago and will never use UPS to Canada again if I can help it.

I got my 8.5 upgrade from Kurv and made sure to select the US Postal Service shipping. The postal brokerage fee for that is a flat $8 CAN. (Much more reasonable, although it used to be $5.)

The higher priced UPS Express and Fedex have the brokerage fee built in but they are much more expensive. Delivery is faster though and the PST+GST may not be tacked on like they are with the Postal service but it may depend on the vendor and shipper- not 100% sure.