PDA

View Full Version : Adding Texture/material ..

Chris Goodiel
04-13-2006, 08:57 AM
Hello all,

This is going to be a very basic question for all of you and you might actually laugh when you read it but here goes.

I am completely new to Lightwave and I just wanted to mess around a bit. I created an object and want to apply a texture or material to the object, I have no clue how to do this. Alot of the 3-D programs I have messed with in the past have had a ton of "stock" materials to apply to things, I can't seem to find these in Lightwave.

Thank for you help in Advance,

Chris

kruemel_1
04-13-2006, 09:27 AM
with 'q' you can assign a surfacename to selected polygons. If nothing is selected all visible polygons will become this surface name. In the Surfaceeditor in modeler you can press F9 (F8 in layout) to get a list of presets. By doublclicking them they are assigned to the selected surface.

Chris Goodiel
04-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Hrm, I am not sure if I am doing the right thing but I am hitting the f9 key in modeler > surface editor and nothing happens for me.

I am on the mac version 8.5 infact I looked under the keyboard shortcuts and it says f9 is set to Preset shelf Open/close. I am wondering if maybe I don't have the files on my computer. but you would think something would happen even if nothing was there.

I thought it might be this keyboard I had but I disabled it's features for Modeler.

kruemel_1
04-13-2006, 11:56 AM
You can use the mouse thru Windows->Presets panel. And even if you don't have the presets installed, a empty preset panel only with the workspace dropdown appears.

zardoz
04-13-2006, 12:02 PM
I don't want to sound rude...but I think you should read the manual for 10 or 15 minutes and I'm sure you'll find that...

Or use the Help and go to "Surface: Change Surface" you'll find everything you need...

:phone_cal

Chris Goodiel
04-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Thanks Kruemel for the info. It final came up through windows, it might just be that the preset did not install the only one I see is Default_smooth.

To Zardoz : Thanks for the suggestion on reading the manual but if I wanted to read the manual I suppose I would not have posted here :twak:.

Hrm wonder even if I have a manual ...maybe in the bowels of my computer somewhere in PDF form.

Anyways thanks again Kruemel, Looks like i will have to do more searching to see if the program was supposed to come with presets and why they were not installed from the get go.

Amurrell
04-13-2006, 07:58 PM
The default_smooth preset is in the workspace menu. Look in the top left (if you havent already done it) in the window. There is a drop down menu for other preset options. The presets load with the installation of the software so they should be there.

I would also suggest doing a little searching for ways that one can texture or surface things, just so you get a good idea of what is available to you and options that you have for certain situations, either on the web or in books. That's the way I have learned in the past and continue to do now.

zardoz
04-14-2006, 07:30 AM
I just find it strange to buy a software and not read the manual while discovering how to use it...

Amurrell
04-14-2006, 06:07 PM
Agreed. But sometimes the anticipation is just too much.

toby
04-15-2006, 04:24 PM
I just find it strange to buy a software and not read the manual while discovering how to use it...
Yea, and to get snotty about it too.

RTFM beeatch! We're not going to hold your hand or show you how to make a box if you're unwilling to find out for yourself.

"wonder even if I have a manual"... what, you only have a cracked copy of Lightwave?