PDA

View Full Version : Is this laptop any good....?

adrian
04-13-2006, 01:23 AM
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/867214

Do you think this laptop will be any good for running Photoshop7 and LW..?

That's "all" I'd need it for... not games, Internet or anything else, nor do I need massive storage space either.

I thought it would make more sense to ask here first rather than just ask down at the shop, because more likely than not either the staff there won't know what LW is, or they'll just say the laptop will run fine with it just to get the sale.

For any LWers in the UK, are there any places where you can get Laptop's for reasonable prices?

Thanks in advace for any guidance :)

sculptactive
04-13-2006, 04:14 AM
Well you cannot argue with the price, but the ATI card it a big minus IMHO.
I am sure there are a lot of people who are happy with there ATI cards, but if you really want to have a trouble feel ride with LW find a laptop that has an Nvidia card.

adrian
04-13-2006, 04:43 AM
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/833884

Ok found this one which matches most of the requirements of LW/PS (good graphics card etc). However it says the processor is:

"Featuring Intel® Core™ Duo processor T2300 1.67Ghz"

Well, how do I know if this is the equivalent of a Pentium 3 or Pentium 4? I checked Intel's site but couldn't find anything in a comparison table. Does anyone here know?

This model is about twice the price but for good performance I think the extra investment is worth it. I just need to find out what this processor is - why oh why can't manufactuers make it easy for goodness sake???!!! :devil:

WhiteBoy
04-13-2006, 08:04 AM
I too am in the market for a LightWave capable laptop. I've been keeping my eye open for deals on TigerDirect and NewEgg. If anyone has any suggestions or finds something they like, please post. I will do the same. :)

MikeMD
04-14-2006, 08:40 AM
http://www.asus.com/

Core duo is bettter than Pentium 3 or 4, so no worries there except that right core duo laptops are still hard to find in the us ( don't know, but situation is supposedly better in europe. those you can find here either have integrated graphics, shared memory or something else missing ).

try to find one with nvidia card and never get one with integrated graphics or one which shares system ram with the video card.

and make sure that you have a high enough resoolution. 1680 x 1050 is a goood one.

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=5&l2=24&l3=134&model=1006&modelmenu=1 would be as nobrainer if it had an nvidia card. This way, better check that that card won't give you trouble with LW.

Captain Obvious
04-14-2006, 09:21 AM
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/833884
"Featuring Intel® Core™ Duo processor T2300 1.67Ghz"

Well, how do I know if this is the equivalent of a Pentium 3 or Pentium 4? I checked Intel's site but couldn't find anything in a comparison table. Does anyone here know?
Intel's Core Duo is the fastest processor Intel has ever made (except possibly the Itanium 2). Clock for clock, it even beats the dual-core Opteron at most tasks. It's a great CPU.

kml12
04-14-2006, 09:45 AM
I just got a Dell Inspiron 6400 Dual Core and it really has performed well...

cresshead
04-14-2006, 10:24 AM
i bought an acer laptop aspire 5022 amd turion 1.6gighz and it's good with 3dsmax 8.2 and fine with lightwave [lw has issues with opengl viewports on 8.5] ..good for the price £699inc vat
the amd turion renders in a similar time as a intelp4 3gighz.

http://www.acer.co.uk/acereuro/page4.do;jsessionid=17B33BA2503E6FA08CF1D9E7956D99 4A?dau22.oid=9816&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtxParam=0&dctx1=17&CountryISOCtxParam=UK&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&crc=1565874032

if you can afford it go and get a dell core duo with a good graphics card
9400 or 6400 though these also have ati cards so you'll probably want to install lw8.3 as well as lw8.5...or get lw9 beta!

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/inspn_9400?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

seems that many laptop makers are now going with ati which is a shame as nvidia have much better drivers for lightwave and 3dsmax.

overall the acer aspire 5022 i bought is very good for the cash [has 1gig ram, 100 gig hd, 128mb pdci card, duo outputs inc svhs and firwire and a widescreen display]

hey you could also look at the apple mac now that they can also run winxp!

Speedmonk42
04-14-2006, 12:42 PM
My vote right now for the laptop segment is two fold

1. Dell 6400, with WSXGA screen.

2. Alienware 15.4 inch with hardware graphics & dedicated g.memory. I think this is the 5500

The two features I think you want more than anything is a decent graphics card (NOT the Ati 200 thing) and an WSXGA (or WUXGA) screen. I think this is more important than the processor or hard drive size ect....It makes the computer useable. Once you have used one of those screens you can NEVER go back.

The better graphics card helps you on dual monitor as well.

Reallly really expensive, but probably the best LW laptop is the Dell M90

adrian
04-20-2006, 11:34 AM
I too am in the market for a LightWave capable laptop. I've been keeping my eye open for deals on TigerDirect and NewEgg. If anyone has any suggestions or finds something they like, please post. I will do the same. :)

Today I bought the laptop mentioned in my first post in this thread (follow link).

I've been using it for a few hours now and I have to say LightWave, Photoshop & After Effects run like a dream :D

So my first impressions of this laptop are very very good (unlike the saleswoman at PC World)....

Speedmonk42
04-20-2006, 02:45 PM
Hmmmm soooo.

I have a laptop with the same graphics chipset, but only 512MB, but it has the Turion64.

It is a pig beyond comprehension. Even on the new bare install of the OS it was brutally slow.

All I want to do is run over it with my car.

So maybe it is worth getting the extra RAM or something is wrong with it. Even when nothing was installed on it, it takes several minutes to boot up.

TheDynamo
04-20-2006, 03:24 PM
One thing I have learned is that when you have a slower HDD like on a laptop, RAM is king :)

By the way if you push the buttons right, you can get a Dell 6400 (small business section) with all kinds of goodies for less than 1k US. This includes:

1 GB Ram (1 Dimm or 2 shared)
128MB ATI Card
Truelife Monitor

I would buy the 9400 (with more RAM) and forego my future workstation if I could be convinced that a laptop would survive the kind of render times a regular PC has to deal with (i.e. rendering for hours/days at a time ) without overheating or crapping out.

Has anyone gone that route and had good success?

-Dyn

Speedmonk42
04-20-2006, 04:24 PM
I dunno. The 6400 has shared memory, and I have to say I have been traumatized by my current laptop. It is sooo slow I am sure there is something wrong with it. It has had the total spyware go over.

Dedicated RAM for graphics for me from now on, though that may not necessarily be the problem with this one.

I am thinking of the M65 from Dell, or waiting for a new 15.4 with dual core from Alien Ware. (same thing now).

TheDynamo
04-20-2006, 04:59 PM
I believe the ATI card has it's own dedicated RAM, I'm pretty sure about that. The default is some Intel chipset that I have no clue about but it uses system RAM. I suppose if you up the capacity to 2GB on the notebook that would work out as well but I too prefer a dedicated video card.

Of course the hardest part is to convince the wife that I need a notebook. I really don't do that much traveling but the portability would sure be nice.

-Dyn

adrian
04-21-2006, 01:18 AM
Dedicated RAM for graphics for me from now on, though that may not necessarily be the problem with this one.

One thing I was told to make absolutely sure about was that whatever system I bought had dedicated graphics and not shared because even if the spec sounds good on a shared graphics system, for the kind of stuff we LW'ers do, it will run like a pig - which unfortunately you have found out :thumbsdow

So I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is a major contributing factor to the machine's performance.

BTW my laptop takes a few minutes to boot up as well but once it's up and running no problems (so far touch wood).

DiedonD
04-21-2006, 01:31 AM
Hi Adrian

I have a bad hostory with Laptops in general. The first one I couldnt keep up so badly that I had to wait two seconds after each brush coloring in Photoshop, and after I got rid of that I bought a laptop with the below specifications:

NVIDIA Ge-Force 5600 GTX
1GB of dedicated RAM
80 GB
Intel Pentium 4, 3.4 GHZ

And I still had problems with LW. So my suggestion to you adrian is, unless your ready to pay really heavy prices that are customly made for CG, like DELL, DONT buy a Laptop. Its design is quite attractive I know, its portable, but I could never satisfactionally do anything with them.

In fact I had a very old version of a desktop that was sitting on my office for years, with havy dust and had visited the technicial hundredds of time, and I could use LW there with no problem, and yet I had problems with that above mentioned Laptop. And I bought it for 1450 Euro's too.

Its an attractively bad decision to go for a laptop if youd ask me.

See ya.

adrian
04-21-2006, 03:48 AM
Funny thing is, mine runs better than my main PC at home at the moment!! Mind you, tomorrow will be the day when it gets it's first heavy usage - so I'll report back then....

Like I say though, I've used it for a few hours so far and it runs as smooth as I could wish it to. Sorry you've not had good experiences... before buying I did a LOT of research to make sure I got one that would do what I needed it to because I've heard many horror stories.

The bottom line is my laptop is simply my backup machine.. if it turns out it doesn't run quite as well as my main machine, so be it. No big deal.

Oh I will also need it to demonstrate websites to clients - and there is absolutely no problem doing this on my machine... quick as lightning :D

One last thing. I should point out I have only installed what I need on there, ie LightWave, PS and AE. Nothing else. In fact I even uninstalled a few of the things that came installed as well (Napster for example) - also I have my firewall/security OFF as I will never use it for the Internet, so this may help performance as well.

adrian
04-23-2006, 06:05 AM
Well I've been using my laptop pretty heavily for the past two days and even with LW and a combination of Photoshop or After Effects running at the same time it has been running very quick and smoothly.

So as things stand now, I would definately recommend the Advent 7093 laptop for LW :)