PDA

View Full Version : Front is Back, Left is Right.

K662pg
04-12-2006, 10:09 AM
I know, I know. First post, immediately with the gesticulating and wild eyes routine.

But are you kidding me? Front is Back, Left is Right?

Is there any way around this, other than using wite-out on my monitor?

http://static.zoovy.com/img/discountofficeitems/W160-H160-Bffffff/ex030760.jpg

prospector
04-12-2006, 10:35 AM
been like that since Amiga days.

Now my take as to why

technically it is correct.
it only has to do with the point of view.
It all started with a car :)

the driver side here in states is on left side so when we look at the front from the driver side in car, we are on left, front of car is foreward and rear is behind

BUT from the camera view we are looking THRU the rear towards the front in order to keep driver side on left.
So if your in driver seat and could slide the seat all the way back to camera, what you'd see is just what we have now.
So in order to keep the correctness of that view, all the other views had to correspond to it, hence the reversed view from the side.

And because your new here, you may see all kind of refrences or examples to cars, no matter what the topic, this is also why.

That's what I think, and I'm sticking to it :D :D

Surrealist.
04-12-2006, 11:28 AM
This has come up before. The explanation I like is the one related to Layout and the default camera in relation to the XYZ plane.

By default the camera in LW Layout is facing down the +Z axis. For a reason I can only think of as basic logic because everything has be oriented in relation to sometrhing this direction is considered forward. Think of it as if you are standing there and you are looking out over the scene. This is your POV. So everything is related to the Camera POV.

So if you load an object into Layout - and have built it oriented this way - it is also facing in the same direction of the camera. So its point of view and the camera point of view are the same.

This is where a programer should have thought like a filmmaker because this is counter intuitive to a movie set. Your actor comes on to the set and faces the camera.

But this is not the way it was done in the beginning someplace so now we have everybody building models facing away from the camera and into the +Z plane and thus having the same POV as the camera.

Back in modeler if you build your model in an intuitive way you are building it with the features facing you. However by default Modeler loads the windows so that the back view is in the top left. So if you start building your model facing you in the back view it will be "backwards".

Now you carry this point of view concept further to the rest of the views. When you look in a side view, it is as if you are standing on the right or left side looking at the object from the same point of view as in layout not from the point of view as if you were looking at the front - as Prospector points out in the car reference. For whatever reason this was chosen as the POV to start with. If you just remember this, that +Z is the starting point of view - remember this is a computer, it has to be one or the other not both - and this point of view is consistant. So if you want to see the right side of an object you step to the right from this point of view and look at it.

Camera POV - Your POV
Object POV - Same as Camera and you.
Object orientation - Same as Camera POV and Object (actor) POV

K662pg
04-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Last time I felt this way, I hadn't taken my anti-psychotics for a while.

You get prosecuted for speaking in tongues, these days, you know.
It's all so unholy, unnatural - unamerican and more than a little snotty. And snooty.
It's like having Apple Mac's Mini-Me, right in my PC.

The idea is to dissolve reality for the observer, not for the artist.

Seriously, thanks for your time, though. Appreciate it.

http://www.austinpowers.com/objects/images/evilprisoners.jpg

bluerider
04-12-2006, 03:57 PM
been like that since Amiga days.

Now my take as to why

technically it is correct.
it only has to do with the point of view.
It all started with a car :)

the driver side here in states is on left side so when we look at the front from the driver side in car, we are on left, front of car is foreward and rear is behind

BUT from the camera view we are looking THRU the rear towards the front in order to keep driver side on left.
So if your in driver seat and could slide the seat all the way back to camera, what you'd see is just what we have now.
So in order to keep the correctness of that view, all the other views had to correspond to it, hence the reversed view from the side.

And because your new here, you may see all kind of refrences or examples to cars, no matter what the topic, this is also why.

That's what I think, and I'm sticking to it :D :D

Don't forget the aviation references regarding H, P and B for rotational axis:D

K662pg
04-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Problem solved. Decided against Lightwave.

prospector and Surealist, thanks for the effort, but it just feels wrong. Like a polyester shirt.

martinrandle
04-12-2006, 06:25 PM
If that is your reason for deciding against Lightwave - all I can say is; enjoy Bryce! LOL

Seriously it takes maybe an hour to get used to it! Big deal!

Hi this is my first post. I have just taken the step and purchased LW 8.5 / vue 5 infinite bundle! WOW! seriously. I have used lightwave for years, sometimes registered copies at work and sometimes - ahem not quite so registered (albeit OLD) copies elsewhere. I saw these as training!

I reached a junction recently where I wanted to create the destruction of some buildings and the old copy of LW had no chance of doing it without extensive animation to simulate the physics effects. So I had a choice - forget everything I knew and loved and go with Blender (yuk - but huge kudos for providing a free 3D package!) or fork out 585 which I can ill afford on the best software ever.

... excuse me while I stroke my dongle... I have a whole heap of new commands and options to learn!

prospector
04-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Yea, that is a silly reason to not get something.

There was only 2 replies (surrealist and myself) and we COULD be wrong.
tho we both had the same conclusion, he went into the more tekki explaination, I stayed with the more obligatory car view :D

But to say a program isn't worth getting just because of a little word in the corner of the window, which I don't think I've looked at since the Amiga days, is sounding like a fisherman out trolling.