PDA

View Full Version : Model Import Trouble - Help!!

Wayne Heim
04-12-2006, 08:27 AM
What am I doing wrong??? I have a client who has provided an IGES file that I need to bring into Lightwave. I've had it converted into a .obj and a .3ds file to import it into Lightwave but when I import it into modeler some of the poly's don't "render" in opengl display. They look like they are missing but if I click on them they are there. When I try to render the model in layout the polygons that don't display correctly don't render.

What the heck is going on and is there any way to get this mode into lightwave and have this work? I'm pullin my hair out. Help!!!

Wayne

liquidpope
04-12-2006, 08:53 AM
There's probably nothing "wrong" with the model. It's just that some of the normals are pointing in the wrong direction, which is a common problem when converting models from one app to another.

Try two things -
First, set your surface to be double sided. You should see everything.
Second, align polys.

Double-sided polys take twice as long to render, so aligning polys is the better way to go. But it is quick and easy. Good luck!

Wayne Heim
04-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Thanks Liquidpope. Boy do I feel stupid. I had thought I had tried that already. Turned out I had two objects open and applied it to the wrong surface.

Yikes. Need more coffee!
Thanks.

W.

liquidpope
04-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Glad to help, as always. And remember, you can never have too much coffee.