PDA

View Full Version : New Surfacing Paradigm

bartrobinson
04-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Kinda. It was great when Lightwave shifted to surfaces being connected to specific objects to avoid conflicts with other existing surfaces. With obvious problems now out of the way, I think it's time to move on to a higher functionality. We need to be able to accomodate "objectless" surfaces in scenes or external to scenes or objects. My other request is retargeting references during a clone or duplication.

Here is the current problem plaguing me that would not be a problem in other highend software. I have a couple hierarchies set up. There are multiple objects in each hierarchy. Certain surfaces reference nulls in the hierarchy to determin how the surface appears. When I clone the hierarchy, the new set of surfaces on the clones refers not to the newly cloned nulls, but to the originals. Obviously there are cases you want one or the other. If the surfaces were not tied to the original object, then at least I could retarget the references to the new nulls. But I can't because they change the original surfaces too. So... "objectless" surfaces. Next. Allow an option when cloning anything to retarget references (history.... whatever) to the new targets if they are within the hierarchy being cloned. I assume this would just require a fuller examination (code wise) of what is being cloned to see if there are references there, then offer to retarget.

Currently I have to clone the hierarchy. Rename the nulls. Save copies of all the the cloned objects. Replace all the clones with the saved copies. Then manually retarget all the references by hand.

Thanks, Newtek.

Bart Robinson

Mylenium
04-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Kinda. It was great when Lightwave shifted to surfaces being connected to specific objects to avoid conflicts with other existing surfaces. With obvious problems now out of the way, I think it's time to move on to a higher functionality. We need to be able to accomodate "objectless" surfaces in scenes or external to scenes or objects. My other request is retargeting references during a clone or duplication.

Here is the current problem plaguing me that would not be a problem in other highend software. I have a couple hierarchies set up. There are multiple objects in each hierarchy. Certain surfaces reference nulls in the hierarchy to determin how the surface appears. When I clone the hierarchy, the new set of surfaces on the clones refers not to the newly cloned nulls, but to the originals. Obviously there are cases you want one or the other. If the surfaces were not tied to the original object, then at least I could retarget the references to the new nulls. But I can't because they change the original surfaces too. So... "objectless" surfaces. Next. Allow an option when cloning anything to retarget references (history.... whatever) to the new targets if they are within the hierarchy being cloned. I assume this would just require a fuller examination (code wise) of what is being cloned to see if there are references there, then offer to retarget.

Currently I have to clone the hierarchy. Rename the nulls. Save copies of all the the cloned objects. Replace all the clones with the saved copies. Then manually retarget all the references by hand.

Thanks, Newtek.

Bart Robinson

I understand your problem, but I don't think it must be solved by introducing a more clunky surface management. To me it would be more sensible if in the new node editor they added:

a) a multi item referencing/ selection node
b) made nodes work across multiple surfaces (kinda like scene root nodes as in Maya)

This would allow you to only need to adjust this one node and instantly generate new surface references from it.

Mylenium

Nitisara
04-11-2006, 11:24 PM
Good suggestion about standalone surfaces.

I want to add to NEW SURFACING PARADIGM that my suggestion would be to store surfaces animation not in objects, but in scenes. Otherwise object with animated surfaces in one scene becomes unuseable for other scenes.

RedBull
04-12-2006, 02:12 AM

I want to add to NEW SURFACING PARADIGM that my suggestion would be to store surfaces animation not in objects, but in scenes. Otherwise object with animated surfaces in one scene becomes unuseable for other scenes.

Animated surfaces can be saved in presets, or am i missing something?
Do you mean Null controlled surfaces.

bartrobinson
05-16-2006, 01:36 PM
a) a multi item referencing/ selection node
b) made nodes work across multiple surfaces (kinda like scene root nodes as in Maya)
Mylenium

a) I'm not sure exactly what this node would do.

b) I think you just described exactly what I call an "objectless" paradigm where the surface can exist in the scene (what you call scene root) independant of a specific object. In other words multiple objects could reference this surface if the user chose to apply it that way. Yes, I'm talking about technology that exists in Maya and XSI. It's not clunky, it's flexible.

Matt
05-16-2006, 03:13 PM

This was discussed before and the idea of having the ability to specify surfaces that reside in the scene file was mentioned. I think it would be a good idea!