PDA

View Full Version : Supershift and multishift flawed?

peteb
04-10-2006, 08:09 AM
I've been using Supershift and in version 9 multishift and I've found both don't shift how I'd expect when beveling things other then simple quads. I've attached an example of the problem I get when I try to supershift or multishift some polys that were created using the stencil tool. As you can see from the pic the shape isn't been retained as it's inset. What's interesting is that it looks like the points that were part of the original mesh are moving in quicker then the ones created from the stencil. The mesh is clean in that there's no doubled up points or polys or two sided polys, so in theory I would have thought this would work fine.
There's a lot of times where I use stencils to create detail into dense meshes for grooves among other things. Supershift/multishift would be great for these things if it just didn't have these simple problems. I've also tried fiddling with all the settings and none of them resolve this problem.

Does anyone know why this is or know of a better way to do this?

Pete B

Dodgy
04-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Get bevel++ :)

It costs like $10, and I use it in preference to all Lw's bevelling tools.

nemac4
04-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Get bevel++ :)

It costs like $10, and I use it in preference to all Lw's bevelling tools.

Agreed.:thumbsup:

peteb
04-12-2006, 03:02 AM
Cool thanks guys I'll take a look at that.

Pete B

Castius
04-12-2006, 03:23 AM
ummm... NDA

ACLOBO
04-12-2006, 11:59 PM
I was just wondering.. Are you still affiliated with Team 17? I saw that Team 17 will be doing a conversion of (now defunct) DMA Design's Lemmings for the PSP. I just thought about you when I saw this news and was wondering if you were doing anything on that project.

I have probably not contacted you or asked a question of you in the past, but I saw the news and just wondered to myself about it....

-Adrian

P.S. Bevel ++ seems to be like 33 bucks at teh moment. It is really that good of a beveling tool? 33 dollars is not a lot, but still... I don't like to buy plug-ins unless they are really worth it.

peteb
04-13-2006, 05:10 PM
Castius what do you mean NDA? As in why is it a problem in what I've said. Everything I've mentioned is available in 8.5 as well it's just I happen to be using the 9 beta that also has Multishift.

Pete B

Dodgy
04-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Yup, and yup. I did character design of the lemming (updating) and bevel++ is that good :)

SCS5
04-14-2006, 12:54 PM
agreed!! been using Bevel++ for years!! Don't know why Newtek never bought into this technology? It's LIGHT YEARS AHEAD of NEWTEK'S BEVEL SOLUTIONS!!....BUY IT!:thumbsup:

peteb
04-17-2006, 05:40 AM
I think I will as the more and more I'm having to model mechanical things the more I'm getting annoyed with Newteks bevels...at least they're not as bad as Mayas :)

Pete B

Exception
04-17-2006, 06:34 PM
I like bevel++ but for complicated stuff I lovelove Vertibevel (commercial) LOVE!.
Also Jettobevel is free and a lot better than multishift and supershift.

vertibevel LOVE!
there should be an emoticon for vertibevellove.

Ratboy
04-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Jettobevel's a life saver.

Dodgy
04-18-2006, 03:17 AM
I used jettobevel for a while, but found it way too slow if you have a lot of polys (or even a resonable amount of polys) whereas bevel++ does everything jettobevel does and more, is fully interactive and quick too. I don't know about vertibevel, only that it works in a window, though the new version (coming soon?) will be interactive.

peteb
04-20-2006, 09:27 AM
I've just been searching for Bevel ++ and haven't found it yet. It came up with that VertiBevel and it's $100 8~
Edited to say I found it, I was typing Bevel and putting spaces between the plus signs.

Pete B