PDA

View Full Version : VT5 & SpeedEdit release date ?

eon5
04-10-2006, 06:28 AM
When ?

I need to buy an HDTV sistem...

is VT5 ready to go...

or i need to wait q3/q4 to buy the new software upgrade ?

Any info is welcome

regards :)

Jim Capillo
04-10-2006, 06:43 AM
I haven't seen any projected dates in the promotional releases, but I would guess it will be sometime after NAB, maybe June/July ?????

Ivan
04-10-2006, 08:11 AM
Rule of thumb, no matter who your buying from, don't buy based on the promise of delivery. Buy what is shipping now. If you don't need it now, wait till you do. It doesn't matter whether it is Newtek, Adobe or Apple, if you need something they don't have, the promise that it will ship one day could burn you. Newtek knows HD is needed (people have been asking for it since 4 shipped) and I know that what they will offer will be great but that doesn't help get that client back if VTHD ships one week later than you needed it.

Ivan

ScorpioProd
04-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Exactly as Ivan said.

Though I am certainly excited for Newtek, and I will give them a fair shake, I'm going to NAB not only to look to the future, but to find a NLE to give me HDV support NOW.

NAB is for announcements, previews and demos. It is not typically for shipping products.

Frankly, I waited all of last year for Newtek to get HDV support, but that didn't happen, and I missed out on a half year of HDV editing with my Z1. I can't afford to make the same mistake again. I wanna actually edit HDV from my Z1!

Jim Capillo
04-10-2006, 02:33 PM
I am thankful for the folks here (Ted and others :thumbsup: ) that are doing the HD legwork. Although I still haven't had a firm request for HD, I feel that it is a lot closer now than 2005. I've pretty much settled on the Panny 200 camera (although I'm not real happy about the exorbitant price of the P2 cards) and I will stick with NT if they deliver [5] & HD(V) in a timely manner. If something comes up tomorrow, then.......:stumped:

ScorpioProd
04-10-2006, 02:54 PM
I really encourage you to read the in-depth comparison of all the latest compact HD camcorders in the current DV Magazine before deciding for sure on the Pansonic 200...

Jim Capillo
04-10-2006, 03:38 PM
I really encourage you to read the in-depth comparison of all the latest compact HD camcorders in the current DV Magazine before deciding for sure on the Pansonic 200...

Well, I'm definitely waiting until after NAB before purchasing. Who knows what info or new products might come out of there. The operative words on my previous post were "pretty much".... no "definitely" there ! I have skimmed the article you mention, but will read it thoroughly when I have some throne time :D . While I'm not happy with the hoops that Ted has had to jump thru to edit, it is a start.

I just wish I could be at NAB this year to check out all the gear firsthand !

ScorpioProd
04-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Don't worry, Jim, we'll be there for you! :)

In fact, we should probably split the cost with you, right? :hey:

My only concern right now with the XDCAM HD solution I'm looking at is the additional lens cost, unless there's a really good package deal... Cause the Sony promotions seem to imply that the lens comes with it, but it probably does not...

ted
04-10-2006, 06:51 PM
I'm REALLY hoping that I find some connecting of the dots for HD at NAB. I told NewTek I could only run camera Monday morning. :(
After that, I'll be scouring every corner of the floor for improved solutions.

On my last day last year I sat at the special HD Presentation from shoot to Delivery. I am glad I did. It confirmed I had one more year to make the investment.

This has been a total consumption of our resources. We have had many successes, but the process is still a pain. As promised, I'll detail the process any day now! I promise!!!

I'm counting on NewTek to help smooth out the workflow.
Then I can get the most out of our amazing HVX!:thumbsup:

Jim Capillo
04-10-2006, 08:44 PM
My only concern right now with the XDCAM HD solution I'm looking at is the additional lens cost, unless there's a really good package deal... Cause the Sony promotions seem to imply that the lens comes with it, but it probably does not...

That would probably knock them out of the ballgame with me. My experience with Sony has been that usually they'll give away a bottom tier lens in those package deals - decent optics only come with more expensive glass, something I can't afford right now.

Jim Capillo
04-10-2006, 08:47 PM
......... but the process is still a pain. As promised, I'll detail the process any day now! I promise!!!

Take your time, Ted. Every day is another beer you owe me ! :beerchug:

Brian Peterson
04-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Though I am certainly excited for Newtek, and I will give them a fair shake, I'm going to NAB not only to look to the future, but to find a NLE to give me HDV support NOW.

Since newtek is sharing with the retailers the specs for VT5 and Speededit, wouldn't that be a good sign that shipping soon is a good bet.?

ScorpioProd
04-11-2006, 12:32 AM
Since newtek is sharing with the retailers the specs for VT5 and Speededit, wouldn't that be a good sign that shipping soon is a good bet.?
If we don't learn from history, we are destined to repeat its mistakes...

I guess it all depends what defination of "soon" you are using...

Jim Capillo
04-11-2006, 04:52 AM

We could always start a pool here.....:D

I'll take July 17th. :thumbsup:

eon5
04-11-2006, 04:54 AM

http://home.kc.rr.com/cyberbiker/fark/lts/appl.gif

Brian Peterson
04-11-2006, 06:50 AM
I guess it all depends what defination of "soon" you are using...

Call me an optomist, but didn't Tricaster pretty much ship shortly after announcement? And VT4 and 4.5 I believe shipped shortly after announcment too. And Lightwaves seems to be hitting the market right after announcement too.

Newtek claimed a while back they were going to change their ways, no announcements until something was nearly ready to ship. I'll keep my fingers crossed.:beta::beta::beta::beta:

Jim Capillo
04-11-2006, 06:58 AM
Yeah, Tricaster came pretty much out of nowhere. [5] would seem to be more of a rewrite than an update, that's why I'm giving them 90 days or so......

ted
04-11-2006, 09:53 AM
I'll take July 17th. :thumbsup:

Well, I'll take July 4th. Independence day!:thumbsup:

Jim Capillo
04-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Well, I'll take July 4th. Independence day!:thumbsup:

Geeze Ted, ya gotta give the Aliens that day off......:newtek: :alien:

John Perkins
04-11-2006, 11:31 AM
They don't take the day off. Didn't you see the movie? ;)

JReble
04-11-2006, 11:48 AM
Seriously though, can Newtek say if Speededit will be available for order, or maybe pre-order, by June 1st? Some people's fiscal budgets end June 30 and some people may have funds available to be used. Maybe some people are deciding who to spend with before the budget window closes. If one knew one way or another, maybe one could hold on or move forward with some late purchases. :stumped:

Jim Capillo
04-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Seriously though, can Newtek say if Speededit will be available for order, or maybe pre-order, by June 1st? Some people's fiscal budgets end June 30 and some people may have funds available to be used. Maybe some people are deciding who to spend with before the budget window closes. If one knew one way or another, maybe one could hold on or move forward with some late purchases. :stumped:

That would make good business sense, especially since the release(s) have become somewhat common knowledge.

Jim Capillo
04-11-2006, 11:53 AM
They don't take the day off. Didn't you see the movie? ;)

LOL ! :)

Forgot that angle, John !!!

Pete Draves
04-11-2006, 01:26 PM
because of the speed of dvd pre-mastering I am locked to the toaster for work (The fastet out there).
I will wait for the "final solution of newtek"for hd etc.
I for one will not jump ship...yet.

BUT why do I read the comics in the morning, finishing with ripleys believe it or not, before going to the vt forum?
Pete