PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Newtek and LW

Ivan D. Young
04-09-2006, 01:14 PM
I just want to say Thank you to newtek and Thank You LW, for being so good and reliable. Recently I had to revisit an old project, because we needed an update. The project was about 8 months old and since newer versions of software had come out, there was a real issue of making all things work since we would have to go back and forth on several machines. It worked out, but I want to say Thanks Newtek for making LW hardy and reliable. Being able to load LW objects and scenes into various versions of LW and having stability and compatibilty is really great! Many other apps really can make it hard to get work done by making files not compatible, even with their own apps!

Thanks Newtek you saved my Bacon!:lwicon:

Sensei
04-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Newer version of software should understand the older version, but if older loads newer fine, it means that software is not enhanced too much.. And that's rather bad sign..

Lamont
04-09-2006, 02:35 PM
What are you talking about? That makes no sense. What about Photoshop? Premire? Maya? Softimage?

What would you rather have?

"A newer version of the software loads older versions of the file just fine and it works."

or

"A newver version of the software can not load the older version of the file, and if it does, it's broken."

It means that it strips the data it can't use. Old to new and new to old.

Dodgy
04-09-2006, 04:11 PM
Well maya 7 doesn't like maya 4.5 files... Though you can get it to read them by going in and changing a line. I kinda felt that wasn't right, any new version should be able to cope with older scenes. For some reason though, people just seem to accept these annoyances when it comes to mighty maya...

mav3rick
04-10-2006, 12:59 AM
maya what is that?

RedBull
04-10-2006, 01:48 AM
What are you talking about? That makes no sense. What about Photoshop? Premire? Maya? Softimage?

I think he just means in LW 5.6 for example can't read objects from LW6.0, this means that in LW6 the program advanced or progressed due to architecture changes.

LW6 had to lose backward compatibility to keep forward thinking...
And from a developers POV, it became impossible to write LW5.x and LW6.x plugins from the same source code or headers.

LW6 to LW9 has not shown the same radical change....

What Sensei is true, but it's a very general way of looking at it...
You don't always need a radical change to enhance the program, but every now and then, you are forced to break or change to enable further worthwhile enhancements.

The point limit for .lwo was extended for example over the 8.x cycle to allow more points than previously allowable (.ai importer), and did not break previous versions of LW..

Ivan D. Young
04-10-2006, 01:53 AM
Well I was mainly thanking Newtek for LW working. I was refering to going form a newer version back to an older version of software. Which Lightwave will quite easily: Maya will not unless you re write the file. Premiere and AfterEffects will not necessarily go back either, however I am not fully versed on which versions will or will not. All this was not really the point. Sorry for the consternation that a Thank You would cause. I still appreciate the replys though. So thanks to you guys for caring.

cresshead
04-10-2006, 12:00 PM
hey...look at 3dsmax....you can't open a max8 scene in max 7....but you can open a max 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 in max 8....only forwards compatability...always been like that for max..thogh some eople have written maxscripts [back from 5] to try and get some backwards ability...

at the very least in lightwave 8.5 you can export as a lwo 5 object and you can also save out a lws scene in lws 5 format too....

options...it's good to have options!

Lamont
04-10-2006, 12:33 PM
But you can't use 3DS Max 7 on the same machine as 8. Violation of the EULA.

But anyways, being able to save down is great for clients who don't have the latest software, and being able to open a file in an older version of the software isn't an indication that the software sucks.

THX1138b
04-10-2006, 01:05 PM
maya what is that?

Last I heard it's a new version of 3DS Max :devil:

cresshead
04-11-2006, 12:34 PM
But you can't use 3DS Max 7 on the same machine as 8. Violation of the EULA.

But anyways, being able to save down is great for clients who don't have the latest software, and being able to open a file in an older version of the software isn't an indication that the software sucks.

but it definalty doesn't help!

that's why i have 7 pc's....[one for each version of max!!!]...:D ..only kidding!

actually i have max2.5, max3.1, max 4,2....a now timed out max7 [only ran the 30 demo...] and max 8.2

my main working versions are max 3.1 [you can move the harware dongle around] and max 8.2 on my new acer laptop.