PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to give hub server access to the internet?

no_clue
04-08-2006, 11:56 PM
I've just installed lightwave 8 (I got the free upgrade ages ago but I've been taking a break), and Modeller always crashes (with a white screen) unless I give hub.exe server access to the internet, in which case it works fine. The thing is I'm kind of paranoid about giving anything server access, so I really hope this is not necessary. Should I need to give it server access?

Cheers

Silkrooster
04-09-2006, 01:18 AM
Yes it is absolutely necessary to give layout, modeler, hub and Windows printer spool access to the net. Layout communicates to modeler thru the hub via tcp/ip Internet protocol. Not sure what the printer spool is required for yet, but I do know if you don't give it access it can dramatically slow down the startup process of lightwave, plus with Norton internet security, there is a pop up telling you that lightwave is trying to access the printer spool.
Silk

no_clue
04-09-2006, 01:21 AM
I figured out how to launch modeller and layout independently by putting a -0 in the shortcut command. However is there any way I can keep hub's functionality (syncing modeller and layout) without it having to connect to the net though? I mean it shouldn't need to connect to the internet to do this right?

prospector
04-09-2006, 02:32 AM
It's not really hooking to the net, as in going on google and looking for things, it's using the tcp/ip protocal to converse with itself which was ok back in the day when there was no internet. but it's not going out into the either and scanning the world.
But no, you can't make them sync without using tcp/ip.

printer spool is a new one tho as I've never seen that come up.

no_clue
04-09-2006, 08:09 AM
Ok thanks. The thing is though I have to give it server access to the internet in zonealarm, so although it may not use the internet it would still be listening for requests wouldn't it? Or am I on the wrong track here?

zapper1998
04-09-2006, 08:33 AM
~Interesting acesses the printer spool, hmmm

~ The new hub, you have the "Enabled" for Modeler and Layout.
~ Newtek can u put a "Enable" for the hub.???
~ Now that would be cool.....

prospector
04-09-2006, 12:13 PM
right track, wrong part of the universe :)

It does look for requests, but only from local computer, else everyone using LW would be hooked to every other LW user, and yours would becone very very VERY slow.

Just let LW have full control, and play. Nothing to worry about.

no_clue
04-10-2006, 12:45 AM
Ok thanks :)