PDA

View Full Version : VT[4] Upgraded - 2 questions

optikanet
04-06-2006, 03:10 AM
Hi, I just upgraded from VT[2] to VT[4]. Because I have a separate licence for Lightwave 8, I bought the LW 7.5 version of the VT upgrade.

Is there any way to change the shortcut within the VT[4] interface so that it points towards my LW8 installation instead of LW7?

Also, I'm in the process of speccing out a new workstation and am planning to invest in a BOXX. Funds are limited and I note that a SCSI RAID array easily adds another couple of thousand to the price. Since I'm not using my toaster for online broadcasting, just offline editing of material generated in Lightwave, is it really a problem using a SATA RAID array?

It is false-economy to buy the wrong thing just because it is (significantly) cheaper, but I wonder if the sustained throughput recommended by the manual is really necessary if the system is not being used for online broadcast.

Can anybody advise me?

Kind Regards
Dave

John Perkins
04-06-2006, 09:37 AM
It really depends on what you want to do with it. For a few layers of DV or NT25, no problem, use a few SATA drives.

If you use RTV files a lot, you need four or more 7200 SATA drives to get more than one layer of RTV reliably. The WD Raptor 10k RPM drives will give better performance too.

The best non-SCSI setup I've seen is using a good PCI-X or PCI-Express SATA card with 8 fast SATA drives.

You just need to be aware of the limitations and let it background render more often with a slower drive array.