PDA

View Full Version : Errors with splines!

Ghazal
04-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Hi everybody,

I've just started to create a head by splines, but I have some problems:

1- when I want to split the curves, this error comes up:
"No faces or curves split. Selected points must divide selected polygons."

2- When I want to patch, this error comes up:
"Curves do not cross correctly."

Could you please guide me how I can sort these errors out?

Many Thanks,

Ghazal

lesterfoster
04-05-2006, 10:17 PM
2- When I want to patch, this error comes up:
"Curves do not cross correctly."

Many Thanks,

Ghazal

I remember having the same problem not to long a go. After spending several hours trying to figure out what the problem was. I figured that I accidently copied and pasted my splines over top of itís self on the same layer. My solution was to delete the duplicate splines and re-merge the rest. After that. I was able to complete my model

Did you accidently copy your spline cage and paste it over top of ití self? ?

Silkrooster
04-05-2006, 10:28 PM
1)To split a spline, select the point where you want it split, then in polygon mode select that spline. Then the spline should split. Note: you can't split the beginning/ending points of a spline even when it make a complete circle.
2) This error can occur when the splines do not follow the same directional path. Each spline has a small diamond on one end to show the head. Each spline must follow the other to complete a circle. Example 2 heads touching each other will generate this error. Splines can be flipped using the lowercase f key.
Silk

steamthunk
04-05-2006, 10:43 PM
2) This error can occur when the splines do not follow the same directional path. Each spline has a small diamond on one end to show the head. Each spline must follow the other to complete a circle. Example 2 heads touching each other will generate this error. Splines can be flipped using the lowercase f key.
Silk

Aside: This will probably reveal my newbness, but I've never found that LW enforced the head-to-tail topology carefully in many cases. I can usually patch things that don't flow in order and I've never really understood why. Also, splitting the spline(s) so that they form a perfect quad before patching does not seem to be required in all cases. I have ended up with some weirdness in cases that forced a repatch, but not enough that it wasn't still faster selecting the 4 splines and trying it first before resorting to splitting and flipping.

Anyway I usually encounter the curves error when I select splines that may appear to touch but don't for some reason. Usually looking at it in one of the views more carefully will reveal why.

phaedrus
04-05-2006, 10:52 PM
splines can be confusing when you start using them, start simple, make a 4 spline square patch first, make sure your technique works, then maybe make "wavey" splines, like a curtain, patch that making sure everythings ok, then maybe have a look at Larry Shultz's splendid spline modelling video tute, less than 10 minutes & you make a great, simple, lizard head, less than 20 splines I think..
Dan Ablans got a good spline modelled head in his "Inside LightWave 8 book, chapter 13 I think? When you do the tutorials it's important to try to take charge of the workflow though, make sure you understand why you're doing each step, think about other techniques that might be applicable too, could I use the magnet tool here? would merge points work as well as weld points?
If you start simple, it should be easier...
"thus endeth the sermon"

Ghazal
04-06-2006, 06:29 AM
Hi and thank you very much to all of you that put the tips and tricks for solving my problem. I will try everything you said.

Cheers,

Ghazal

SplineGod
04-07-2006, 03:30 AM
Splines have some very basic, easy rules:
1. A correct patch will be surrounded by 3 spline min, 4 splines max
2. Splines must be welded where they interesect around a patch
3. You must have 3 or 4 splines selected when patching (depending if its a 3 or 4 sided patch)
4. Make sure you have the proper splines selected
5. Selecting splines counter clockwise you make the polys face you and selecting clockwise makes the polys face away from you.

I would also recommend my video tutorial Modeling a Head With Splines (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/head_splines.htm)

Silkrooster
04-07-2006, 04:03 PM
:twak: I keep forgetting about welding the intersecting points. I wonder how many jams that would have kept me from getting. You would think it would sink in after awhile. Go figure.
Silk

SplineGod
04-07-2006, 04:14 PM
I STILL do that sometimes or pick the wrong splines. :)

Ghazal
04-16-2006, 07:03 AM
Larry, I checked the site tonight after a big gap and I saw your reply. Thank you very much.

SplineGod
04-16-2006, 07:15 AM
Youre very welcome :)

Sensei
04-16-2006, 02:07 PM
:twak: I keep forgetting about welding the intersecting points. I wonder how many jams that would have kept me from getting. You would think it would sink in after awhile. Go figure.
Silk

Get EasySpline http://www.easyspline.com, and you will immediately see which splines need to be splited and points merged.. ;) And you will get tool for doing it in just one click..