PDA

View Full Version : Sgi Layoffs

Mike Pauza
05-22-2003, 04:10 PM
SGI just laid off 10% of thier people (one was a buddy of mine). I guess they're hurting again. Maya's (which they own) supposedly doing well though.

Beamtracer
05-22-2003, 05:51 PM
The whole computer industry is in a downturn. Things will only get worse as the world economy goes down the tube.

SGI's woes began long before the economic downturn. Maybe they should sell Maya to Apple after all, and make some pocket money.

hrgiger
05-22-2003, 07:46 PM
Well, if they just wanted pocket money, they'd be better off selling to the pc market.

WizCraker
05-22-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
The whole computer industry is in a downturn. Things will only get worse as the world economy goes down the tube.

SGI's woes began long before the economic downturn. Maybe they should sell Maya to Apple after all, and make some pocket money.

Strange I've always had a dark side if I ever had the $200 milion or so needed to do a Hostile takeover I would sale A/W to Newtek for only $1 dollar. If they refused I would sale it to Autodesk, or Microsoft [mostly in parts].

Oh and it is perfect time, Right in middle of their restructering. They are most vurnable now.

Beamtracer
05-23-2003, 12:28 AM
Microsoft have already been buying SGI in parts.... M$ already bought OpenGL patents.

No, I'd like to see Apple buy it and force all those Maya people onto Macs

Hoo Hoo Hoo Haa Haa Haaaah!!!!! (evil laugh)

Hervé
05-23-2003, 12:48 AM
Good answer Beam, let's be evils......

jevinstudios
05-23-2003, 07:43 AM
I went away from this discussion forum for about 8 months to find that the layout and format had changed, as well as deletion of my profile (after having been a religious LW user and forum member for many years....). So with a new profile that calls me a "newbie", I'm back on the board -- only to find that the same tired old threads about A/W - SGI layoffs, rumors about selling Maya to Apple, and hopes of NewTek buying Maya are still being posted!

Saaaaaaaaaad. Am I stuck in a time warp here?

In regards to promoting the Mac, my PC's are much faster than any Mac I've ever worked on (and I'm talkin' state-of-the-art Mac equipment here). I've been doing contract work for the aerospace industry (all Mac OSX-based), and find that 99% of the work has to be done on my own studios' PC's if I'm to be able to work with any semblance of complexity or speed. Also, refer to the latest issue of Computer Graphics World magazine, article titled "Mac Aficionado Turned PC Enthusiast". I tell ya', it's not bullsh*t -- Mac's cannot compare to top-notch PC's available today (My latest PC is a CUSTOM-DESIGNED POWERHOUSE -- twice as fast as any computer I've encountered on a complex, updated Mac pipeline)......

Apple is continuing to focus on the consumer market and not the professional environment. Take all the crappy Apple Music commercials, trying to plug-in to the "American Idol" fanbase. Extremely unpleasant, and a massive turn-off (I mute the TV every time one of those commercials comes on!). I think the "Church of Mac" is headin' towards Jonestown (Hey -- has anyone seen Jim Jones lately?).

jevinstudios
05-23-2003, 08:13 AM
In regards to the "LW -vs- Maya" issue -- I really would love to see LightWave users just be pleased and happy with their software. Hey, LightWave isn't Maya, but it's still exceptional stuff! I use both, and find that for modelling, LW rocks -- I've purchased conversion software, and do about 90% of my modelling in LW, then import into Maya for enhancement, texture painting, animation and rendering. Even in the aerospace division I'm contracting in, almost all modelling is done in LW or EI, and rendering and animation done on EI and Maya via the pipeline.

I hate the impression that many LightWave users have from others in the industry of being software-bashers, and in many cases, unhappy with their tools (I've seen feedback on other forums to this effect).

My own viewpoint is to use what you love, and love what you use. Who cares about A/W, SGI or Maya, if you're happy with what comes out of your hard work, blood, sweat and tears!!!! Be proud that you're using All-American software, from a company that is dedicated to customer satisfaction, and is run by pretty cool people!!!

I personally love both A/W & NewTek. I've had my problems with NewTek in the past, but I've buried the hatchet, and respect a company that is a survivor in a suffering industry.

Hold your heads high, and be proud. LW will always have a place in the industry -- and with good reason!

Mike Pauza
05-23-2003, 11:27 AM
Most all of us love LW, but I like to keep up with what's happening with all the 3D apps, especially Maya. Apparently SGI is divided over if they should sell Maya or not...whatever happens could have a big affect on NewTek (and us) in the long run.

-Mike

SplineGod
05-26-2003, 12:27 AM
Hey Jevin I agree.
I still am amazed at what Lightwave can do that I never thought it could. If people would look at what they have, dig in and REALLY learn it they would find it does FAR more then they thought. I dont think A/W is doing as well as ppl think. The grass is just as greener over here. :)

jevinstudios
05-26-2003, 12:58 AM
Right on, Larry!

Mike Pauza
05-29-2003, 07:56 AM
Jevin & SpineGod:

I think your right up to a point...LW users should do less whining and more 3D! However, IMO users following the other apps and requesting improvements (like in LW 's dynamics) help's NewTek develop a better product with each release. :)

BTW, if anyones interested here's an annoucement from SGI I just ran across on gamasutra (you will nee to be a member to access it):

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/industry_news_display.php?story=1804

mattclary
05-29-2003, 08:59 AM
Wow, 400 jobs equal a $40,000,000 annual savings! Those were some pretty well paid people.

Mike Pauza
05-29-2003, 10:06 AM
Hi Matt.

That's the "cost" of those people (100K per person)...with salary taxes, benefits, office space & equipment, etc....I would guess thier average salary was somewhere around $60,000.

mattclary
05-29-2003, 01:19 PM
Yeah, that fits into my "pretty well paid" category! :)

Mike Pauza
05-29-2003, 03:49 PM
That's probably average for the workstation industry, but yeah I think it's a nice salary too! Tech guys make more than artists, that's for sure.