PDA

View Full Version : particle age will be in a %

gaetan
02-17-2003, 07:38 AM
particle age will be in a %

presently gradient input: particle age is set in frame!

it's very important, it's a must;)

Capt Lightwave
02-18-2003, 05:36 PM
% of what?

I have no problems using frames as a particle lifetime unit....

gaetan
02-19-2003, 07:48 AM
We need "Particle Age" to be set in %. The actual gradient is in
frame. If we have multiple sources and need to change the lifetime of particles, I have to go to hypervoxel and change the gradient for each sources. If I don't do this, the size and color won't match the particle lifetime. It gets pretty hectic when we have 100 or more sources... There's already choices for the value of the gradient, but no % ...

Here is an example :
>I have 24 frames, 4 sources of particle. The particles size radient is set so that at frame 12 (50% of particle lifetime), particles have reach their full size. (this is set for each sources). If I change the particle life time to 16 and still want them to reach their full size at 50% of their lifetime, I'll have to go to each sources and reset the size gradient to frame 8.

We need this pretty badly. We have scenes with many many particles sources... We're in a big project that will require us to create even more of those big particles scenes. This request is a MUST for us...

Voila! Thank's

Capt Lightwave
02-19-2003, 02:07 PM
Ah, you want the gradient values to be in % of the particle age....I get it (phew, I thought I was missing some parts of my brain or something here).

I don't know yet, but isn't it possible to control that by an expression?

Lightwolf
02-21-2003, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Capt Lightwave
Ah, you want the gradient values to be in % of the particle age....I get it (phew, I thought I was missing some parts of my brain or something here).

I don't know yet, but isn't it possible to control that by an expression?

Nope, since there is no way to get the max lifetime of a particle and in any way get that information over to a gradient input with an expression.

Matt
02-21-2003, 04:02 AM
things like this should user-definable, I long for the day of a nice preference editor where you can setup everything even down to things like:

layout preferences->default units->particles->particle age = %

layout preferences->default units->lights->intensity = lumens

etc.

clearly a nice GUI would be needed, but the preferences would be written to a text file for editing by hand if needed, just like scene files.

Lightwolf
02-21-2003, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by Matt
things like this should user-definable, I long for the day of a nice preference editor where you can setup everything even down to things like:

layout preferences->default units->particles->particle age = %

layout preferences->default units->lights->intensity = lumens

etc.

clearly a nice GUI would be needed, but the preferences would be written to a text file for editing by hand if needed, just like scene files.

Well, I don't think it is a gui problem in this case, since particle age in % and in frames are two different things, and you can't convert between them easily without knowing the lifespan of the particle you are working on.

Matt
02-21-2003, 11:59 AM
you're missing my point, generally being able to edit more preferences for the whole of lightwave, there would be soo many options that you would need to have a preference editor, that's all.

you're right though that some options might clash, but I was just showing an example.

gaetan
02-21-2003, 02:20 PM
Eureka!

Now you can set your size , color or anything else the way you want in particle age with the new pfx3 from DStorm!

FXBreak 1.1 come with a nice pfx upgrade : EditFx and a couple +.
EditFx is very powerfull, and now you can in the envelopes add a modifier (Fx Link) just like it was already but with 2 news mode: age fde-out and age fade-in . This's cool for a lot of things, like dissolve particle in his "lifetime".

but the thing is, all particles should have is own "lifetime"...all independent from each others!!