PDA

View Full Version : replacing multiple objects

Ditherer
05-22-2003, 09:16 AM
Got a still image. Having selected a group of identical (cloned) objects via the Scene Editor, is it then possible to replace ALL of them at once with (multiple copies of) a new object?
Thanks.

Mylenium
05-22-2003, 09:53 AM
Editor is your friend!

Simply open the scene file in editor, Notepad or whatever and replace the name string of your object.

Mylenium

Ditherer
05-22-2003, 12:32 PM
Thanks! (what fun, I didn't know you could edit like that!!) But I've got 3 sets of about fifty clones in this scene. I don't really want to be cutting & pasting text 150+ times!

If I did that I might as well be selecting them individually in LW and going to 'Replace With Object File...' one at a time.

Surely there must be an easier way to avoid repetitive strain injury!!? I wanted to just find a way (in LW) of saying 'Replace All' or something...

Mylenium
05-22-2003, 01:09 PM
It should still work in Editor. Since your three base objects are named differently you can use "Replace all". You may have to turn on the "Match case" option for this to work properly. If all this isn't working for you, you might always find an LScript somewhere or write one yourself.

Mylenium

Ditherer
05-22-2003, 02:03 PM
Thanks, I'll persevere.

Aegis
05-22-2003, 02:05 PM
Just rename the objects and LightWave'll load 'em up instead i.e. "Object01.lwo" becomes "Old_Object01.lwo" and "Object02.lwo" becomes "Object01.lwo"