PDA

View Full Version : Lighting help

newtekker04
04-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Hey, folks.

I've got a pretty basic question that I'm sure has a very simple solution. I've got a setup where I need to see the source of a spotlight (a lamp's lightbulb, to be specific). However, only the light from spotlight is visible and not the source itself. What am I missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RedBull
04-02-2006, 07:59 PM
Not sure i exactly understand.
But it sounds like you need to make the spotlight a volumetric light,
otherwise model the element in the lamp and make it luminuios polygon, with a glow..... Or use luxigons...

Silkrooster
04-02-2006, 08:19 PM
You can also turn on lens flare to make the light source visible.
Silk

Amurrell
04-02-2006, 09:09 PM
One other thing you could do is model the bulb (a simple one( I don't know if that's what RedBull meant)) and crank up the luminosity on its surface, enable glow and play with the settings a bit. Works good for me. Lights don't normally render unless you use Silkrooster's suggestion by using lens flares, and they don't usually make a surface glow when passing through it, like in your light model. (maybe with the new shaders in the future, I don't know).

Hope this helps.

newtekker04
04-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Hey, thanks for the help. I forgot to use luxigons originally, but making the polys luminous really worked good, too. A lens flare doesn't quite look right, however. Also, I did try volumetric lighting and that works pretty well, but I notice that the volumetrics actually go through the plane I have made for a floor. If I use volumetrics, do I need to increase the floor thickness to avoid this? And just one last thing: how do I enable glow? Thanks again, friends. :)

Amurrell
04-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Adjusting the falloff may do the trick for the volumetric part.

As far as glow is concerned, go to the advanced tab in the surface editor of the surface you want to have glow, play with the settings there in the glow intensity field, and then in Layout go to Window->Image Processing-> Processing tab and check the enable glow option. You have settings there for the intensity again and the radius of the glow in pixels there.

That's all there is to it.

newtekker04
04-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Thanks, Amurrell! Thats just what I needed. I tried setups with both the glowing effect and volumetrics. Both looked really good. :dance: Thanks for the assistance. :thumbsup: