PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone there who could help me with the Drill tool?

Drogon PCKann
04-02-2006, 11:53 AM
I just tried every things but still doesnít working,:compbeati
I get hols everywhere.
Please if you know where Iím wrong help me.

DrTWT
04-02-2006, 12:43 PM
when you are drilling, you end up with a bunch of n-gons (poly's with >4 points); these can't be subpatched, hence the error messages and the holes.

drilling on an object with faces (un-subpatched polys) would work.

in LW9, you'll be able to patch n-gons.

Drogon PCKann
04-02-2006, 01:44 PM
Iíve tried it before and I havenít any problem, but now I canít get it right in the easiest way.
Itís starting to annoying me.

Dexter2999
04-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Dragon...

You can not sub patch a poly that has more than 4 points.
Your polys in your cube have 4 points to begin with. When you drill or stencil or tunnel into them you are creating additional points. They can no longer be sub patched.
You can try the Triple command but that will make many more polys and I don't know for sure if that will do what you want.

Drogon PCKann
04-02-2006, 02:38 PM
I did it already.
I know itís a stupid problem but Iíll show you what happen if I use smooth shift on it
And if I change that my LW get an annoying slow-motion. :bangwall:

Drogon PCKann
04-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Thank you Dexter2999
I was trying to draw a wheel but I canít get it right and to be sure I drew a box and tried to Drill it but I got the same problem.
I did use the Drill tool before and I donít know whatís going on.

brtk
04-02-2006, 04:00 PM
in LW9, you'll be able to patch n-gons.
And so era of sloppy modeling begins - cut your mesh in any chaotic way you want and it subdivides anyway!

And also, I didn't know that LW9 NDA did allow you to post screengrabs:gotpics: . Could you guys post some more pics, preferably with some weighted edges.

Dexter2999
04-03-2006, 08:37 AM
If you are making a wheel, I would suggest the Lathe tool.

peteb
04-04-2006, 04:48 AM
There's two ways of doing what you're trying to do.

One is to stencil the shape like you have and then go into wireframe mode and look at the shape. Begin deleting points that have no use in the overall shape. So any points that don't contribute to the shape of the circle delete. Basically you should end up with a circle where every point has a purpose. Then you'll have to start killing polys and re-stiching everything back together but using only quads or tris. Tris are really only good if your mesh has a consitent poly size. If you use tris in areas where big polys meet small polys then you can get some bad tension, which basically means your mesh will look a bit lumpy. So try and stick with quads.

Another thing you could do is extrude a cylinder out and then square of the edges. Here's a pic of creating a cylinder and extruding out from there. You could then add your sides to create the box.

Also if it looks like you've got all quads and tris and yet Lightwave keeps telling you it hasn't, hit W to bring up the stats window. Go to poly mode and looks to see if the model has any polys with more or les then 3 or 4 sides. If it has simply hit the plus sign and it will select them. Then hit delete.

Hope this is of some help.

Pete B