PDA

View Full Version : Rigging Machinery for Transformations

wongster
04-02-2006, 12:26 AM
Well, I guess this is my first hello. I'm not new to the program but new to the community. I've seen many many tutorials on character rigging but none of them seem to help in this particular situation. As most of you will know, in an organic rig, usually the object is all a single layer, and the bones just deform the object accordingly.
However, I have built this beautiful model... I think for a 15 yr. old who's had the software for a year... and I can't animate it. Its a piece of machinery. Its an aeroplane, that supposedly transforms into a robot. While the transformation does work in theory, I'm trying to create a rig for it, and for the model. Since it is machinery, I want it to have mobility and to be flexible, but only at the joints. I do not wish it to become "deformed" in the way an organic object would be.
So far i've just set pivot points and parented certain layers.

I am convinced that keeping seperate layers for each one of the moving parts for animation will do the trick, however I can't figure out to create a bone hierarchy over several layers, have a working IK, AND not deform my model.

If anyone is familiar with what was done in the Beast Wars / Beasties series then please fill me in. I'm looking for a transformation something along the lines of the old transformers generation one series if you guys ever watched that as a kid.

Here is a link to some renders of the model in vehicle mode.
http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=17462&st=80
attatched I have an EXTREMELY simplified version of the model, and some layout files. Also, some images depicting what the model is supposed to do. PLZ help, i'm new to animation and rigging. Been working with modeler most of the time.

colkai
04-02-2006, 05:11 AM
If you are not getting what you want by setting the pivot points then I'd be inclined to give each part a weight map, have a bone only affect that part (weight map) and rig it this way. There will be no deforming as you'll be using each bone with it's own wieght map which will be at 100%, in effect, giving you a hard-surface rig.

kruemel_1
04-02-2006, 07:20 AM
With a robot (or something similar) you don't have to use bones. The animated parts have to have a hirachy (scene editor) as you would do it with bones. The pivot point of the objects define the basepoints of your "bones".
So your model becomes the sceleton and you can animate it with FK/IK as in all the tutorials.

colkai
04-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Yeah, I thought that but I was just interpreting it as if for some reason, he asn't getting what he wanted from a straight layered heirarchy. :)

peteb
04-02-2006, 09:48 AM
Yes using pivots alone is fine unl;ess parts of your model aren't in line with world cords. If that happend there's no way of aligning your piviot to the angle you want using the objects pivot.

Pete B

SplineGod
04-04-2006, 01:20 AM
You can also setup bones as pivot points and then parent the parts to bones. This will give you the abiltity to twist or turn each part independant of they bones theyre parented to. Each of your parts can also be morphed or scaled independant of what the bones are doing. :)