PDA

View Full Version : Skelegons mystery

Johnny
04-01-2006, 03:28 PM
OK..Now, I'm onto skelegons. I can create them, but apparently there are more in there than I think.

I make 5, Layout sez 11! and some of them pointing off into weird directions. Then I try to clear everything in my modeler object, bcs nothing's working right. I whack what I think are the last points, then more appear! I Cut those. Still MORE appear. and on and on, ad nauseum.

Anyone else having this kind of trouble? Trashing the prefs seems to help, but only until the next wierd bone/skelegon-related thing happens, which is very frequent, by my experience.

help!

I'm so new to bones, I can't tell my mistakes from software malfunction, but I believe I'm seeing some *MAJOR* software malfunction.

thanks!

J

Amurrell
04-01-2006, 07:32 PM
Are these skelegons in a row (rope like fashion)? And I am assuming that this is happening when you convert the skelegons into bones otherwise you wouldn't see them in layout.

Not like anything that I just said above mattered when it comes to turning 5 skelegons into 11 bones. That's weird. I remember one time when I was just starting to use skelegons in an earlier version of LW, and I was editing the end points of the skelegons I would accidentally create another one on top of the one I was editing or a really small one that you could barely see, let alone select to get rid of.

A suggestion would be to look at your skelgon tree in Modler before you convert them into bones in layout just to make sure you only have five, if you haven't tried that already, but more info would be helpful as to what kind of stucture your skelgons form (chain-like or placed in seperate areas, parented in a certain way.)

Then again it could be the elusive CG gremlin we all face from time to time :)

Johnny
04-01-2006, 07:45 PM
my goal is lightning whose movements I can control, so I started with a poly chain of, say, 30 polys, then made skelegons of about 1/3 that length each, plus a "tip" skelegon.

Everything looked good in Modeler; it was Layout that saw the 11; modeler showed the 4 I made. After I trashed all prefs and re-examined the object in Modeler, THEN I saw the 11, scattered about like a train wreck, in addition to the 4 I made, the way I'd arranged them.

Since I began trying to learn bones/skelegons/IK chains, LW overall has been behaving wierdly, in such a way that it's hard to build on what I'm learning.

It seems that when I'm working with these things, LW prefs go bad frequently. Trashing the prefs will restore proper behaviour for a little while.

This is about all I know about it..guess it's a matter of keeping trying and hoping for real progress

J

Amurrell
04-02-2006, 09:31 PM
I tried to recreate some sort of problem like this but I wasn't able to. I use the Win32 version of LW and I'm not sure if it is something that is a fluke with the Mac version or not. I have been reading about some strange things happing on the Mac platform, but I couldn't tell you why.

Johnny
04-03-2006, 09:18 AM
thanks for trying that out... I am thinking more and more it's a mac-related bug based on what I'm reading..guess I can add it to the list.

J

ercaxus
04-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Can it be more than one skelegon in same place? Are you sure that you have only 5 skelegons? If you see 5 skelegons in statistics window and layout converts it to 11 then there's something seriously wrong :D

Johnny
04-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Can it be more than one skelegon in same place? Are you sure that you have only 5 skelegons? If you see 5 skelegons in statistics window and layout converts it to 11 then there's something seriously wrong :D

In a nutshell, this is what I did and saw:

1. made 4 skelegons. Saved the Object File
2. Opened that object file in layout. did "Convert to bones" was told "11 skelegons converted."
3. Went back to Modeler, opened that file. Saw 4 skelegons.
4.went back to layout, cleared scene, tried again. Same result: 11 Skelegons
5.Trashed all LW/Modeler prefs files
6. Reopened the object file in Modeler, where, finally, I could SEE the 11 skelegons, many scattered about like a train wreck.

While it's possible that I could have made a mistake, I think the likelihood is low, because I've been having SO many problems, that I've become super methodical in what I do, taking great pains with each and every step.

I wish I could shed more light, but the above is actually what happened. The cause to me is unknown.

J