PDA

View Full Version : Turning a propeller

chays
03-31-2006, 05:15 PM
I am trying to create an animation of a simple plane with a propeller that turns. Can someone give me an idea of the various ways this can be accomplished? I simply want the propeller animation to loop. I am assuming that this has something to do with scripts, but I'm clueless as to how to use these. The plane will move along a path and the propeller will turn. Thanks.

jahn
03-31-2006, 05:22 PM
model the propeller in as your second layer in modeler and center the mid pont of it. in layout parent the propeller to your plane and rotate it in timeline as much as you want.
for loop i dont think you mean a loop, you just want it to turn forever

consider a 200 frame animation, in frame zero give your rotation 0 and in frame 200 say it 360x100 =36.000 which means it will turn for 100 times in 200 frames.

which makes 100 turns in 8second (in a 25fps movie).

change the given values as how many turn your plane's propeller make in a second and give it a fly :)

loki74
03-31-2006, 07:55 PM
for loop i dont think you mean a loop

uhhh... why not?

make two keyframes--one at 0 degrees one at 359*. Distance them based on how long you want one revolution to take. Then on the Post Behavior dropdown select repeat.

*since 0 and 360 are the same, if you set it to 360 there will be two identical frames per loop and it will not work.. i think thats how it is anyway. might want to experiment.

Note also that as far as I know this method will only work if from start to finsish the thing does not speed up, slow down, stop, or start. In that case, you could either use the aforementioned method, or loop it manually.

jahn's method is by no means bad... it can be very inconvenient though, as if you need to be comparing that curve to another motion curve in the graph editor, that one will be huge.

sebrady
04-02-2006, 03:08 PM
in layout, make 2 keyframes, the second on about 5 frames from the 1st one, in the graph editor select 'post behavior' and make it LINEAR.......this will keep the rate of rotation the same forever, no matter how long your animation. 1 setting that you will never have to revisit. I have tried the same effect. You need some good blur and a layer depicting propeller blur will help out too.

hope this helped.

avkills
04-02-2006, 05:31 PM
I am pretty sure the drop down you want in the graph editor is "offset repeat". I am using it for rotating a earth object. I just do a small rotational amount frames 0-30 and it will continue to turn no matter how long I make the animation.

You can set the offset repeat for post and pre behavior.

-mark