PDA

View Full Version : Polys coming unglued??

kylekoch
03-31-2006, 06:45 AM
Hi all, I have run into a problem. Im trying to do the maya "Dreadnought" video tutorial at 3d palace. I am using the add edges and shift z alot to get the geometry the way I want it. Also am using jetto bevel and rounder to bevel edges. During the different steps Im noticing that at some unknown time some polys get separated from the mesh. Like if I move a poly the edge comes apart. The only way to fix is add a point to the edge with no point and weld. Can someone tell me what I may be doing wrong. This model wont be using SD surfaces. Should I even worry about it. I also dont know if there are some separated that I dont know about.
Any advise appreciated!
Kyle

ercaxus
03-31-2006, 10:30 AM
You're probably selecting a group of polygons before you use add edges. When using add edges if you end up adding a point to an edge that is at the outer edge/border of your selection, that point is not added to the unselected polygon right next to it.
As a solution you can have a slightly bigger selection before you start adding edges or you might not select anything at all, but that might be annoying if it's a high poly model.

kylekoch
03-31-2006, 11:09 AM
thank you so much, I bet thats it, since I do do it that way. I knew it would be something simple
appreciated
kyle

ercaxus
03-31-2006, 01:34 PM
No problem.