PDA

View Full Version : Speed control plugin?

stevecullum
03-31-2006, 06:20 AM
I've created a path in modeler and want to use it in layout for a null to follow. But I need some way to dynamically alter the speed at which the null travels along the path during the course of the animation. So I could have say 2 m/s at the start, 3 m/s in the middle and slowly die off completely at the end.

Does anyone know of any plugins that could help with this?

(I know Worley has something in his Polk collection, but $200 seems overkill just to get this one plug!)

gjjackson
03-31-2006, 10:23 PM
Use the Show Velocity / Show Speed in the graph editor. Right click on the channel you're wanting and the popup menu will then show the curves and you can edit them there.

stevecullum
04-01-2006, 05:07 AM
I've already looked at those, but making accurate adjustment is difficult as there is no scale to measure against. (None that I could see!)

I think I'm going to try cyclist and control the rate with a null. Thanks for your suggestion all the same.

kruemel_1
04-01-2006, 06:30 AM
It's the same sacle as for the curves. 2m -> 2m/s.

nickej
04-06-2006, 10:59 PM
Different person now, similar difficulty. The problem I have with that method is that with the CurveConstraint Motion Option, there are no keys to adjust, just the constraint. Even if the motion is a keyframed one, however, it's not possible to assign keys to the Velocity channel alone (it's more of a footprint than a channel), hence anything done to affect the velocity also affects the position, leading to a rapidly escalating spiral of frustration. Is there a way to (simply and easily) control how far along a set path an object moves by a given frame? Even Cyclist doesn't seem to like operating with CurveConstraint.

stevecullum
04-07-2006, 05:10 AM
I found a plugin that might help.

Try this:

http://www.turbosquid.com/HTMLClient/FullPreview/FullPreview.cfm/ID/211972/Action/FullPreview

or do a search for easypath in Flay.

I actually ended up putting my motion in the motionmixer and using the timewarp curves to control things.

toonafish
04-07-2006, 07:08 AM
maybe this one will get you on your way:
http://www.turbosquid.com/HTMLClient/FullPreview/FullPreview.cfm/ID/211972/Action/FullPreview

otherwise just do a search on Flay.com

rexhiebert
04-07-2006, 08:05 AM
This sounds like what you are looking for...
http://www.flay.com/getdetail.cfm?ID=1527

nickej
04-08-2006, 08:41 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, folks! Actually, what turned out to provide the most control was animating a rough path (3 or 4 control points) and then setting the creature's angle to be aligned to path by IK constraints. After that, I used Cyclist to "gather up" the motion channels into one channel, the cyclist controller, which I set to be a null's "H" rotation from 0 to 360 degrees. This let me use a single Graph channel tweak to speed the thing up, slow it down, even pause and reverse, And I can even use the "Path" tool to interactively shift the keys of the creature's motion....