PDA

View Full Version : Point me to a tool..please

prospector
03-30-2006, 11:45 AM
My problem is this;

I have a strip of polys, say 3 wide curving and changing total width over it's lenght of 200.

I need to cut the center strip but not at a percentage (like bandsaw) but at a specific distance from 1 side say .665 mm, and remain that distance over full lenght of strip.

Thanks

BazC
03-30-2006, 12:02 PM
I've no idea in Lightwave but you could do it in Wings3d provided the fixed distance doesn't have to be precice. That is you could cut an edge and make it parallel to another edge and eyeball the distance. Wings isn't easy to use with precise distances but hey, it's free!

prospector
03-30-2006, 12:09 PM
yea tried but when I go into Sub'd mode the line moves in relation to stretched poly.

Not what I need

Tho I forgot to say that in original post, sorry

BazC
03-30-2006, 12:13 PM
Ah OK, hope you find the answer!

Meaty
03-30-2006, 01:11 PM
My problem is this;

I have a strip of polys, say 3 wide curving and changing total width over it's lenght of 200.

I need to cut the center strip but not at a percentage (like bandsaw) but at a specific distance from 1 side say .665 mm, and remain that distance over full lenght of strip.

Thanks
Here is an idea.

(1)Make a one point poly and move it the desired distance from the edge
(2)take the edge along the side from which you measured to cut, copy, paste new layer, and make it a spline
(3)Use the spline to rail extrude the two point poly chain, at this point you will have a poly chain offest at the distance from the spline
(4)then just stencil or drill the poly chain into the band of polys

gerry_g
03-30-2006, 01:13 PM
Lightwave Cad ( if you have it installed ) will build you a box or strip to a numeric (mm/cm, not percentile) value that you could place in a second layer as a guide for cutting, you could highlight and knife the required polys then snap drag to the guide layer for total accuracy

prospector
03-30-2006, 01:48 PM
both ideas would work on straight objects but because of the curving they would be impossable to place correctly.

Thanks for replying tho, I appreciate it.

Silkrooster
03-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Wouldn't bandsawing next to the new edge, stop the stretching, maybe add a weight map to those points as well?
Just thinking out loud.:stumped:
Silk

prospector
03-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Didn't think of weights, thanks

bandsawing adds geometry, and it ALSO creates bumps in Sub'D objects that make it no longer smooth, ( wish we had something that took the radius of a curve into account when cutting like that but alas we don't).

Dodgy
03-31-2006, 02:51 AM
FI's edgesaw makes a cut a specified distance from one side of the polygon.

http://www2.ocn.ne.jp/~fis_junk/plug/win/FIsEdgeSaw-i-0_0_1.zip

lilrayray77
03-31-2006, 04:57 AM
Im not sure if this would work (as I'm still quite a noob) but you could try some simple math. Lets say your strip is 200cm and you want to cut it 10.5cm from the edge. Couldn't you just divide 200 by 10.5 (10.5/200 = %) to find that you would have to cut 5.25% of that strip? Or are you not cutting in a straight line?