PDA

View Full Version : Restarting crashed render nodes?

stevecullum
03-30-2006, 11:37 AM
I've just started experiencing the joys and pains of screamernet. Sadly, its back to the pain section again. One of my 3 render nodes keeps crashing for some reason. Is there a way to restart the node with restarting the screamernet render?

Thanks for any help!

TheDude
04-05-2006, 07:05 AM
Is there a way to restart the node with restarting the screamernet render?

Ahhh...screamernet. Named because you'll scream at it a lot when using it.

Do you mean you want to restart all the nodes when you launch a screamer render? If so not sure how you would do that.

To be honest once I have the nodes running I don't usually have any crashes, a couple of things that can help to minimise crashes.
1. Don't use the image server (where you're saving the images) as a render node.
2. Don't use the machine you're controlling the render from as a render node.

That said, I usually use the render controller as a node (cos it's my workstation and the most powerful CPU) without problems. (Oh gawd, just jinxed myself.....)

stevecullum
04-05-2006, 07:41 AM
I think my issue is one of memory. My workstation has 2GB and renders no worries wit two threads, but my desktop has a 1GB and some of the scene files show 700+MB of use through screamernet, so that wont leave much room for windows etc..

And when I think it goes over the phsical available memory, then it crashes or I get the blue screen of death, with some memory related error like 'pagefault in nonpaged area'

I'm using lightnet now - ahh no more .bat's to worry about! It also does a good job re-rendering crashed frames:)

TheDude
04-05-2006, 08:01 AM
On a TV show I was working on, we had to render a frame on our workstation before submitting it to the farm, this was to make sure it'd render on the farm CPUs (which were the same spec).
Some people fiddled with virtual memory etc on their workstations to get better performance out of them, but this caused scenes on the farm to crash because the nodes weren't also "fiddled with"....the IT guy then locked access to all the workstations and gave them all the same set up.

I would try and render a frame on the lowest spec machine you have on your screamernet, if it works on that, then it should work on all the rest.....

stevecullum
04-05-2006, 09:30 AM
It is rendering frames, but it crashes after maybe 25 or so. I think it must be on the edge of it memory limit in some frames, then it goes over and crashes. I think I need to add more memory, to see if it cures the problem. I'm assuming as screamer net runs in a command window, it can't use virtual memory?

byte_fx
04-05-2006, 08:18 PM
A holdover the Amiga days -

In your scene file go to Camera>Segment Memory and set it lower.

Long ago it defaulted to 8 mb then that was increased to 32 or more.

There seems to be virtually no, if any, hit on render times but it does let a machine with less ram work more efficiently - sometimes to simply work even.

byte_fx

stevecullum
04-06-2006, 05:59 AM
I'll give that a try! - Thanks for the tip.