PDA

View Full Version : Q about purchasing LW

slicker
05-22-2003, 01:45 AM
For quite sometime now a kind friend of mine has been letting me learn LW on his system and i think im ready to shell out the money for my own...anyway my question is...

I've noticed on a few auction sites people selling 2nd hand and 'as new' factory sealed versions of LW 5.6 and some bundled with Aura v1.
If i find a good copy and decide to buy do any of you guys forsee problems when i attempt update to 7.5?...in terms of legality that is?

Do newtek still accept these older versions when you register for the first time?

I just figure it would save me quite alot of money to go about it in this fashion.....or am i just going to have to max out the credit card for full 7.5?

renatolazzaroni
05-22-2003, 05:30 AM
If you buy a 5.6 licence, it is very unlikely that you will be able to upgrade to 7.5 with the free upgrades posted by newtek. Check the download page, but you can bet that the upgrades work only from 7.0.
I don't see why a valid licence number should be rejected, but this is just an educated guess. Check with Newtek.
I have no information on whether it is less expensive to buy a 5.6 licence and a 7.5 upgrade or directly and 7.5. Incidently, and I am speaking of experience here, I once, er, complained to newtek on a price matter, and they answered that they were willing to make a personalised price offer when I would upgrade (to 8). So, you take no risk in asking.

If you are on a budget, shelling out the full 7.5 might indeed be a little steep. So, if you fill the conditions, you might consider a student licence, and pay the difference only when you upgrade to a pro licence.

Renato

slicker
05-22-2003, 06:47 AM
I wouldnt expect to get a free update to 7.5...maybe i didnt make myself clear..sorry.

I intend to buy the second hand full version of LW 5.6 for roughly $200...then register that product....then pay extra $495 to newtek for the update to 7.5

Newtek will currently update to 7.5 for any previous version for $495

i just thought this way would be cheaper.

Anyway i'll contact Newtek on this matter, but if this is a legal wa of obtaining LW in not sure they will give me a speedy reply:D

LSlugger
05-22-2003, 06:49 PM
Yes, that should work. Take a look at the FAQ (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=453).

Keep in mind that LW 7.5 purchases come with a free upgrade to LW 8. I don't know whether an upgrade from 5.6 to 7.5 would also qualify.

One more option to consider is the educational discount. Some distance learning courses will qualify you for the discount. If you're not planning on making money on LW, the educational discount is nice.

Another thing that occurs to me is that 5.6 used a parallel-port dongle. I don't know whether the 7.5 upgrade automatically includes an upgrade to the USB duo dongle.

If you have any concerns before parting with your cash, contact NewTek Sales.