PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is going on with my UV's

righteous
03-30-2006, 02:58 AM
Hi, Im just trying to export some EPS files of my UV textures, but things are going a little wrong. I've only just learnt this was possible so I am keen to get it working as it means I can effectively have infinite res for my textures :D

Anyway, in modeler there are little red dots around all my UV's. I am assuming this is because the same point is being used twice, or something like that.

When I export the EPS, all those little red dots are the origin of a stack of lines that lead to one point. I would work around it, but its just a bit to confusing for me.

Would love some help, I have attached an image from lightwave and one from illustrator.

Thanks in advance.

DogBoy
03-31-2006, 01:34 AM
Yup, the red points are points that appear multiple times in the discontinuous UVs. The garbled mess happens a lot when you export the UVs as an EPS.
The mess is (usually) only a cosmetic issue, as the the real UV map doesn't have these connections (as you image shows).

The only workaround I know of, is to make sure those "UV islands" are physically seperated in the model. Select each island in the UV window, cut and paste it back, but don't merge points. Do all the islands, then make your EPS and only then merge the points.

I'd only do this if the mess covers up details you need for proper texture placement.

righteous
03-31-2006, 02:01 AM
Ah ok, yeah I was getting the problem after merging the polys. I was silly enough to rename all the areas to one thing after I had set up the UV map.

OH well, will remember for next time.

Thnx :D

Dodgy
03-31-2006, 02:04 AM
I wrote a plugin for splitting objects by their UV borders if that helps :)

peteb
04-02-2006, 09:45 AM
I think Lightwaves UV editor still need a lot of work as I find that really annoying.
I also find that a lot of the time Lightwave still keeps faces attached to others even when using free move. I still use the old way of detaching faces.

Pete B