PDA

View Full Version : Dual core and 8.5

adrencg
03-29-2006, 01:00 PM
I know that Lightwave has always done dual thread rendering, but I was led to believe that 8.5 takes advantage of dualcore systems in all aspects of workflow, including modeling and animating. I got this idea from the Newtek site and by talking directly with a gary Reilly of Newtek.

Yet, when doing anything in Lightwave, the cpu never goes above 50% usage. Rendering is fine, but anything else is only half of the CPU(s). I thought originally when I first built my dualcore system, it worked properly, but I may have been wrong. Does anyone else have a dualcore and can they tell me what kind of CPU usage you get when just doing something simple, like playing the timebar?

Is there a Newtek employee who can clear up once and for all, how much of a dualcore cpu gets used in 8.5 when doing anything else but rendering? If it stays at 50%, I'd be better off getting a super fast single core. The dualcores are fast when both are working together, but alone, the cpu's are not as fast as an expensive Opteron. I could still use the dualcore for rendering, but I need max speed when working on a scene and calculating dynamics.

Mike

Elmar Moelzer
03-29-2006, 01:31 PM
Well, you should see more CPU- usage when using both Layout and Modeler at the same time. Not a 100% usage perhaps, but certainly more.
Other than that, unfortunately rendering is the only thing that truely multithreaded in LW8.5.
If you are using Fprime, I think the newer releases of Fprime support multithreading as well...
Hope that helps
CU
Elmar

adrencg
03-29-2006, 02:03 PM
Well, you should see more CPU- usage when using both Layout and Modeler at the same time. Not a 100% usage perhaps, but certainly more.
Other than that, unfortunately rendering is the only thing that truely multithreaded in LW8.5.
If you are using Fprime, I think the newer releases of Fprime support multithreading as well...
Hope that helps
CU
Elmar

Fprime works great with the dualcore. It uses 100% of the cpu which is fine with me. Motion Designer uses 2 threads, but I've ditched it for ClothFX, with does not. If MD can use 2 threads, shouldn't ClothFX be able to as well. ClothFX is kind of a child of MD.

Mike