PDA

View Full Version : Australian Cg artists -roll call

Ade
05-21-2003, 08:12 PM
I'm from Melbourne, Lightwave and mac based.
Anyone else here from Australia?:cool:

Kuzey
05-21-2003, 09:21 PM
Yeah...got to love Melbourne, Lightwave and the mac...but not necessary in that order :p

Kuzey

Ade
05-21-2003, 09:42 PM
You working in a firm or freelancing??

Kuzey
05-21-2003, 10:35 PM
At the moment I'm looking.

kuzey

riki
05-22-2003, 06:00 AM
Howdy from Sydney, nothing much happening here.

Ade
05-22-2003, 06:07 AM
Who here from OZ is actually working for a studio using macs and lightwave?

riki
05-22-2003, 06:17 AM
The last design firm I worked for was all Mac based. I now freelance and only use Macs> Most (but not all) of my clients are also Mac users.

brundlefly
05-22-2003, 07:45 AM
Another hello from Sydney. I use Strata at work but bought LightWave for my own projects at home. Mac based, OS9 at work, OSX at home.

Andrew.

luka
05-22-2003, 02:52 PM
Will ya look at that! We go our own little corner of oz. Hi I'm from Perth. I'm currently working for an Ad agency so I get 3D work on a regular basis. I 'm a bit of a multi-tasker so I get to do some design and concept stuff in between.

Our studio is running OSX with a couple of OS9's.

Jimzip
05-25-2003, 07:58 PM
I'm a Melbournian, (As the details on left suggests..)
Student working in Elizabeth St.
But I am always looking for work too. I can't wait till I'm out in the industry. My skills need a bit of honing first.

Anyone else in the city?

Jimzip:D

Ade
05-25-2003, 09:04 PM
Me...Work in Sth Bank HWT building.
Theyre 3Dmax there which angers me cause its pretty hard to get stuff modelled compared to LW.

Jimzip
05-26-2003, 07:40 PM
Do you have to use 3DSMax? If you could get the same stuff done in Lightwave would they mind?

Yeah. I can see your building when I go to Crown.. Muhahahah!

Jimzip
05-26-2003, 07:47 PM
By the way, one of the second year students came into our classroom this morning and said that Keanu Reaves was in the coffee shop about a block away.. That's kinda cool.

Oh, and you should come and check out our uni on your lunchbreak! Just in case you get the urge, it's 152 Elizabeth St, level 5. Just after 'Cafe on Elizabeth'... Kinda hard to find.. But that's just in case.

Ade
05-26-2003, 08:00 PM
Yeah I'd like to give him a "what for" spoiling the matrix trilogy.

Jimzip
05-26-2003, 09:11 PM
Uh oh.. Whatcha mean? His acting ability... Heh heh.. Well, can't say anything, but I think he did alright.

Jimzip
05-30-2003, 07:32 PM
Not to dominate this thread accidentally, but we should put this thread in the General Discussions area, and see who turns up. It's only us Mac users at the moment.

stib
06-02-2003, 08:32 PM
I do in-house motion graphics (and editing and camera) for a company that produces safety educational videos. We just bought lightwave (I'm actually here looking for how to register the bl00dy thing. Did anyone else get an error when they filled in the registration form?). The big plan is to go freelance when i've got a bit more on the showreel, but a 9-5 job editing & doing CGI is too good to pass up, even if the stuf we make are.. well lets say for safety training videos they're about as :o interesting as you can get.

Melbourne - what a good place to sit inside in front of a screen all day.

theVman
06-04-2003, 05:09 PM
:o Aussie, Aussie, Aussie Oi! Oi! Oi!

Did any of you guyz go to the AEAF fest at the ACMI Melbourne?

The presentations on the lord of the rings and the matrix were awesome, unfortunately seeing how they made so much of the matrix spoiled the film for me. What about you guys?

Beamtracer
06-04-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by theVman
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie Oi! Oi! Oi!

:confused:

theVman
06-04-2003, 06:22 PM
Beam,

Its an Australian chant that is shouted repeatedly usually at sporting events or something where national pride is at stake, much like the chants in english soccer. ;)

Jimzip
06-04-2003, 06:34 PM
Yeah, the Aussi chant should be changed to sound like the people who shout it have higher I.Q's.. Not something Darlene shouts at Trailan when she wants the rubbish taken out..

"Aussi Aussi Aussi: >insert witty quote here<!!!"

That's better...

riki
06-04-2003, 06:42 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie Oi! Oi! Oi!

For f#@k sake, that's really sad man.

theVman
06-04-2003, 06:48 PM
Jimzip,

Did you go to the Melb animation festival 12-13th May?

Ade
06-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Jimzip my friend entered it, his entry was "the mirror", it was done in Lightwave and AE and was about that mirror that sucks in insects and captures and passes on their spirits. Anyone see it? Theres a pic of a grasshopper in the booklet.

"oi oi oi":(
God thats never going to go away isnt it?..

Some good news I have won over a firm to do some of their 3D stuff, CAD like architecture but its a start. Cant wait to start..

Ade
08-01-2003, 07:08 AM
I read now Apple australia will start selling macs at DAVID JONES... Now i remember what bastards Myers were to macs, they used to hide the computers or turn em off in favour to a cheaper compaq.. Well see how it goes, i think itys a bad idea and will serve no advantage for macs as the price seems to be soo high..Then again that was in 96 this is now, now we have money, ipods, imacs etc...

More prepared these days apple is to cater for the average joe.

David Jone and apple (http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php?id=1876763477&fp=16&fpid=0)

Jimzip
08-01-2003, 07:36 AM
Yeah, I went to one night of the animation festival, I don't remember seeing it.. Sorry :( .
(I wonder whether it was the same one though.. The one I went to was at Fed square.. )

Hmm, David Jones selling Macs.. Could be good, branching out a little I guess..

Jimzip :D

Ade
08-01-2003, 10:05 AM
Jimzip did u ever goto the St Kilda film festival this year?

Jimzip
08-01-2003, 11:14 PM
No. I missed it.
I was really angry with myself too. I was told by another friend that his brother worked on one of the pieces, and I really wanted to see it. :(

I should really read the paper more and get the right dates for these things.

dark_lotus
08-03-2003, 08:09 PM
hello!

Yes i'm from melbourne, but i was whisked away to NY for a while.
Jimzip: As for the chant, how bout:

(in a brittish accent of course): Australia, Australia, Australia, we like you alot superfluously.

As for David Jones selling macs, eh, whattaya expect.

Excuse me whilst i go and hog some more US bandwidth!!

Jimzip
08-04-2003, 08:24 AM
Lol!
Exactly what we need!
Or perhaps: (also with english accent) Oh Australia, Australia, glorious Australia, give us tea and scones. (And 'scones' is pronounced like 'stones'...) :D

dark_lotus
08-04-2003, 01:07 PM
(And 'scones' is pronounced like 'stones'...)

No, that sounds waaay to american. ;)

also in america, adidas is also pronouced, 'ad-dee-des'