PDA

View Full Version : Animating for DVD - what resolution?

Steve Reeves
03-29-2006, 07:33 AM
Hi guys and gals,

Never rendered anything for DVD before and so I find myself in uncharted waters - cool :thumbsup:

I was wondering if somebody could point me to a reliable source of info about resolution sizes that I should render to for DVD (UK PAL) quality at 16:9 widescreen.

Lightwave does have D1 and D2 settings but they are a little different to what I expected it to be at: 768 x 576. Basically, I need a nudge in the right direction or to a website that I can educate myself with!

Many thanks for any help.
Cheers

blindsided
03-29-2006, 09:13 AM
hi,
The D1/pal setting in lightwave should be fine.
Pal D1 is 720x576 with rectangle pixels, Pal also features square pixels, which are 768x576, which tends to be reserved for analogue source material.
If the project is being wholly done in lightwave, the pal setting will work fine, if you do any post work in after effects or an editing suite just keep the rez to 720x576. and interpret the footae appropriatly if it is 4x3 or 16x9 as lw will produce an anamporhic version.

If you are compositing or using any footage that has already been taken in analogue at 768x576, then it gets a bit tricky.

dvd rez will be 720x576 and also lower field first as opposed to the old upper if you are used to broadcast.
the simplest method is to just keep everything consistent throughout the process.

hope this helps

Steve Reeves
03-29-2006, 09:36 AM
Thanks for this blindsided - I'll go with the D1 setting - all of my material will be from digital sources - I am not doing anything more complicted than Lightwave animation with ParticleIllusion so I should be fine. Thanks again.

If anybody has any recommended websites that can teach me a bit on this stuff (and stuff like codecs) I would be very grateful.

Cheers

Mylenium
03-29-2006, 10:27 AM
hi,
The D1/pal setting in lightwave should be fine.
Pal D1 is 720x576 with rectangle pixels, Pal also features square pixels, which are 768x576, which tends to be reserved for analogue source material.
If the project is being wholly done in lightwave, the pal setting will work fine, if you do any post work in after effects or an editing suite just keep the rez to 720x576. and interpret the footae appropriatly if it is 4x3 or 16x9 as lw will produce an anamporhic version.

If you are compositing or using any footage that has already been taken in analogue at 768x576, then it gets a bit tricky.

dvd rez will be 720x576 and also lower field first as opposed to the old upper if you are used to broadcast.
the simplest method is to just keep everything consistent throughout the process.

hope this helps

This is not correct in some parts. 16:9 is indeed just 720x576 pixels with 1,422 pixel aspect (use LW's D1 widescreen setting), but the square pixel equivalent is 1024x576 pixels, not 768x576. You are also wrong about fields. PAL is in general upper field first, no matter how you create it. The only exception from this rule is DV footage which is lower field first even for PAL but to use it for DVD you re-arrange the fileds in your editing suite, which is usually done by vertically shifting by 1 pixel/ scanline.

Mylenium

blindsided
03-30-2006, 12:40 AM
hi,
i should probably have made it clear that you would naturally choose the anamorphic option of the pal d1 setting in lightwave for 16x9, if you render from lw at 1024x576 and take that into an edit suite you will find the footage is not as clean as taking it into a compositing suite and rendering it out at 768x576 anamorphic.
pal DV is lower field first as is pal mpeg2 for dvd, all other pal is upper field so if your project is destined only for dvd or you are editing using the dv codec i would maintain the lower field first setting, or use no field rendering a bit of motion blur and let the encoder do the work, I would not recomend rearranging your fields in your edit suite, dvd studio pro, apple's compressor and cleaner all do a perfect job of reordering fields during mpeg encoding. Edit suites are notoriously unforgiving!

this article may be of some use
www.creativecow.net/articles/onneweer_barend/deinterlacing/index.html

have a look around the creative cow they have some good application specific tutorials as well as general stuff

hope this helps

Steve Reeves
03-30-2006, 02:09 AM
Hi, many thanks for your time, that has been very helpful - thank you.