PDA

View Full Version : Introduction - new forum member

Mark Biasotti
03-29-2006, 07:13 AM
Hello,
Hello LW users,

My name is Mark Biasotti. This is my first entry to this forum. I have been using LW for about 4 years and have been lurking in this forum occasionally these past 4 years.

I am a Product Manager for SolidWorks, a MCAD software product used by Mechanical and Industrial designers. We have approx. 450K users worldwide. My job is to manage the core product, that is, everything that has to do with modeling and rendering.

Previous to my 18 months with SolidWorks, I work for 16 years with IDEO, an internationally recognized design and engineering firm. It is with them that I first started to use LW when IDEO designers required a higher level of rendering and animation than the prevalent ID and MCAD packages (ProEngineer, Alias, Rhino and SolidWorks) could offer. I had the pleasure of creating several animations of products for IDEO designers using LightWave.

I am not big on modeling in LW, mainly because SolidWorks is so much better at it when it comes to consumer product design. In defense of LW, CPD is not its forte’. Because I build models in SolidWorks and import them to Lightwave, my main struggles are getting from SolidWorks to LW (NURBS to Mesh) with a clean tessellated mesh. I have not seen anyone produce a translator that can do this well. Npower Software’s translator for 3DMAX comes the closest.

I think LW is an awesome product and my favor plug-in is Fprime.

My biggest “how to” question is: how do you get a realistic hand-held camera shake affect like they accomplish in BattleStar Galactica? I can tell you how its done on MAX: I rig the camera controls to my joystick then just auto-key frame the shot using my joystick. It’s very effective and easy to setup in MAX.

Mark

Ztreem
03-29-2006, 08:17 AM
I think it's several ways of doing this. Either can you use noisy channel in the graph editor, but if you want more control like the joystick in max, you can set down the frames per second in general options to 5-10 frames, then hit play when the timeline is playing you just move the camera around and it will record your motion. With a little training and tweaking I think it could work.

Brian Arndt
03-29-2006, 08:59 AM
Welcome to the forums! :thumbsup:

kruemel_1
03-29-2006, 10:13 PM
Hi Mark,
wellcome to the forum.
Within the last 7 years i worked for 4 companies which use SW and it's realy the most universally mech. CAD program :thumbsup:
And i hope you don't mind if i say I'm glad to do my renderings in LW and don't have to use P... as all the other mechs here:D .

Mark Biasotti
03-31-2006, 11:06 AM
Careful Kremuel1, I'm also the project manager for PhotoWorks:)

With our next release (shipping in June) we are doing significant improvements to PWs! And Mental Images (in which we use) is formable competition when compared with LW.

Mark

kruemel_1
03-31-2006, 01:07 PM
Hi Mark,
I'm sorry but you won't get me to give up LW :lightwave
Last time I tried to use PW for a little 2500 part assembly (and that's REALY little for plant manufacturing) with a simple 3 light-setup at 1600x1200 res. i gave up after 3 hours and did the job at home with LW in 20min. And how to do images from inside a machine? Or gases, fire, water etc.? And the animations with SWAnimator? Not realy.
My adivce ;) Design a good exporter for LW and sell it with SW. Your customers would have to pay a little less money(PW+Animator->LW) and get 2 great programs where each one is great for it's purpose :)

:rolleyes: and please think about a API for non-MS-worshiper.

Intuition
03-31-2006, 07:03 PM
There is a camera shaker built in called jolt that works decently but its for quick little bumps or vibrations. You can get it to shake alot if you tweak the settings a bit.
I believe this plug is found in the motion options panel.

Select your camera, go into motion options and use the pull down menu "add modifier" to find it.

Sensei
03-31-2006, 08:48 PM
My adivce ;) Design a good exporter for LW and sell it with SW. Your customers would have to pay a little less money(PW+Animator->LW) and get 2 great programs where each one is great for it's purpose :)

IMHO that is brilliant idea! Make SolidWorks & LightWave bundle :D

DrTWT
03-31-2006, 09:31 PM
Mark:

are you in concord mass? i'm in milton.

been trying to drum up some interest around the boston area for a LW user group...

would love to see some of your work!

Mark Biasotti
04-01-2006, 04:39 AM
DrTWT, yes, I'm in West Concord, MA. I would love to get together with a group of LW users.

Mark

Mark Biasotti
04-01-2006, 04:50 AM
yeah, I'm familiarr with Jolt, but I don't think that it is good enough to simulate a handheld camera - which is a very complex motion. If only I could have some way to hook up my joystick to control LW rotate or transform on my camera object, then I would have it. I've gotta believe that this is possible. Besides, I'm very curious how Zoic does their shots for BSG, I have to imagine their doing something like this.

Mark

There is a camera shaker built in called jolt that works decently but its for quick little bumps or vibrations. You can get it to shake alot if you tweak the settings a bit.
I believe this plug is found in the motion options panel.

Select your camera, go into motion options and use the pull down menu "add modifier" to find it.

Mark Biasotti
04-01-2006, 04:55 AM
Here's the closest I've found to what Zoic is doing to create BSG camera work:

One of “Galactica’s” most distinctive features is the camera work. Shots are constantly zooming and reframing like classic documentary combat footage. This style adds visual energy and great verisimilitude and is used consistently in the live action and animated footage. The show’s aesthetic stands in contrast to the stately, majestic shots typically seen in science fiction shows and films. Artist Mark Shimer demonstrated that the seemingly erratic camera movement is created by strategically placing start and end keyframes for a shot in LightWave, then adding “wild” keyframes to shake things up. Chris joked, “the effects ‘cameraman’ in our show would be fired on any other show, because it’s losing frame and there’s always a lot of zoom! But it adds realism.”