PDA

View Full Version : my layout changed without me actually changing it

GeorgeDittmar
03-28-2006, 10:02 PM
yeah so today i opened up lightwave and lole and behold my menu layout has totally changed. I am missing tools and plugins i added and i dont know where anyhting is any more. this is the first time i have had that happen sense i first installed lightwave, close to 2 years ago now i guess. Its lightwave 8.5 and i am going nuts trying to find my tools again because i have a project going on that i need to get done also. any i dea why lightwave decided to do this?

GeorgeDittmar
03-29-2006, 08:09 PM
any ideas?

Silkrooster
03-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Only thing I can think of is perhaps your config files were corupted and lightwave recreated them.
Silk

GeorgeDittmar
03-29-2006, 09:31 PM
i think i might just do a fresh install and see if that helps because i am missing tools i need like create skelgons and bezier curve. i tried searching for them and putting them back into the menue layout but i couldnt find them. arg i hate this.

Silkrooster
03-29-2006, 09:48 PM
You shouldn't need to do a fresh install. All of the plug ins are listed in a config file, not in the program it self. So if the config file is missing, then the plugins won't show in the menus.

Try this first

Instructions for resetting plug ins and menu options.

1. Locate your config files they should be at C:\Documents and Settings\user name or do a search for *.cfg. This search will find all files on your hard drive that has the cfg extention.
The config files have a name and a number for the version of lightwave you are using. Ex. Lightwave version 8+ will have the following config files. LW8.CFG, LWHUB8.CFG, LWEXT8.CFG, LWM8.CFG.
These four files can safely be deleted. Note: Any customization you did will no longer exist.

2. Start Layout

3. Reset content directory by selecting EDIT>SET CONTENT DIRECTORY or press ALT-F12(shortcut)

4. Scan for all plugins by selecting UTILITIES>PLUGINS>EDIT PLUGINS or press ALT-F11 (shortcut). Rather than selecting the Lightwave folder and search for plug ins, select the plugins folder and then legacy plugins this is much faster as less files to scan through.

5. Reset Menu by selecting EDIT>EDIT MENU LAYOUT… or Alt-F10(shortcut) If the preset Default is grayed out, select 7.5 style then select default.

6. Close Layout and open Modeler

7. Repeat step 5 - Note This step has been updated, as rescanning plugins twice is not necessary as layout and modeler share the same plugin config file.
Note: BeeVee mentioned that trashing the config files may not always be necessary. Therefore step 1 is optional.

If a certain plug in still does not show up, it may be possible to find the plug in on the cd, just copy the plug in to your drive, then scan for that plug in.
There have been times even though all the plug ins are installed, that they do not show on the menus. This is why in the instructions above, to reset the menus, so they will show.
Hope this helps,
Silk

GeorgeDittmar
03-29-2006, 09:56 PM
well i am only really missing one plugin. the rest are standard tools built into lightwave it self that I seem to be missing.

GeorgeDittmar
03-30-2006, 08:50 PM
ok so for resetting the content directory where should i point it to? just the lighwave folder?

Silkrooster
03-30-2006, 09:18 PM
What ever folder you normally keep the files you save to. Just make sure it is a parent directory to the scene, object and image folders.
Silk

GeorgeDittmar
03-30-2006, 10:19 PM
ok so i did all that and i am still not getting what I had back it seems. crap. now i am missing bandsaw tool and still dont have my skelegons or bexier curves or a bunch of other stuff either. this is really getting frustrating.

GeorgeDittmar
03-30-2006, 10:28 PM
ok another new problem. after doing all those steps lightwave wont open up my scene files in layout any longer.

Silkrooster
03-30-2006, 11:43 PM
Skelegons and bandsaw are default plugins. I am wondering if you need to try resetting the menu again. This time try changing to version 7.5, select ok, then select ver 8. Doing so may take awhile to find the menu editor as it is in a different place. I just looked it up in the ver 7 manual and location is INTERFACE>EDIT MENU LAYOUT
As for the scenes not loading correctly double check the content directory an example of how this could happen, if you set the content directory to the scenes folder, if would find the scene but not the objects or images. This is one reason why it must be the parent directory of all three folders.
Silk

GeorgeDittmar
03-30-2006, 11:49 PM
well you see i save my stuff all over the place, very unorganized but thats how i work lol. plus I have tried setting the menu layouts to different versions and back but i am still missing the tools and stuff. I just ended up restorting the files .cfg files i deleted and that fixed my not being able to load my scene files. i am just to far along in a project i need to get done that i dont want to do somthing that will screw up those scene files because they took me a wile to get them to where they are.

GeorgeDittmar
04-06-2006, 02:44 PM
well i am starting to think lightwave is just bugging out on me. its getting to be alitte bit more unstable than usual and i am finding it is deleting poly's i dont even select. Now i am trying to find the BGconform tool and it cant find that either. seriously this is pissing me off because i have this project i need to get done and all this crap going on isnt helping.

Silkrooster
04-06-2006, 05:12 PM
There is a chance the polys aren't being deleted. Some plugins will flip the polys making them look deleted. Try selecting that area in the perspective view. If you can select it, it was flipped. If you select polys on the other side of the object, then you know they were deleted.
Make sure your perspective view is in the default texture mode or textured Wire mode.
For the plugins you can't seam to find, try alt-F10 and do a search for that plugin.
BGConform is listed in the additional section of the menu editor. The location in the UI is MODIFY>TRANSFORM>MORE>BGCONFORM
Silk

GeorgeDittmar
04-06-2006, 06:00 PM
i just gave up and reinstalled lightwave and that fixed it all