PDA

View Full Version : Wacom with LW issues

Johnny
03-28-2006, 04:35 PM
I've recently begun using a wacom (graphire) tablet with LW, and of course working in "Tablet" mode, but I'm having a big issue when it comes to the pen/tablet not "letting go" when I'm done moving something, esp. with fPrime running.

I move my object in layout, pause a moment, THEN pick up or move my stylus, but sometimes, if the Wacom doesn't think I've stopped, my subsequent pen move sends whatever object I last touched off to Jupiter!

Anyone have any tricks that could ease this problem a bit?

thanks!

J

gerry_g
03-28-2006, 05:30 PM
In camera view yeah, happens all the time, things shoot all over the place,
other views work just fine however, but I think what you're experiencing is FPrime hogging too many processor cycles causing the tablet information
to not get through fast enough to work properly, used to happen a lot with my old G4 but not with my Dual G5.

3D Kiwi
03-29-2006, 01:33 AM
Had the same problem on my wacom, I am on a pc but it did just what you said, i found it took me about an hour to set up the settings in the wacom settings screen to make it right, Then it worked fine. Also i dont use fprime.

Dont know if this may help at all.

Johnny
03-29-2006, 08:03 AM
i found it took me about an hour to set up the settings in the wacom settings screen to make it right, Then it worked fine.

recall what settings you messed with and how you did it? I adjusted the Soft/Firm slider, which isn't infinitely slideable, but snaps to the visual notches on the control panel.

Too soft, and the wacom activates on everything; too firm and I have to bear down on the tablet so hard that pen control is comprimised.

maybe it's just a matter of getting used to tablet quirks, as with all else..

J

avkills
03-29-2006, 09:20 AM
Do you like the tablet otherwise... I have been pondering the purchase of one.

-mark

Johnny
03-29-2006, 09:52 AM
yeah, I do.

this is my 3rd wacom tablet. first was an ADB unit with a separate power brick, then a Pen Partner. My tendancy to chew on the pen while working led me to buy this graphire on sale from PC Mall ($49 bucks with 2 cool apps and a $10 rebate, versus $39 for a repacement stylus for the Pen Partner).

the pen is way more intuitive, and makes possible a better-flowing workflow.

I'd been seeing more and more LWers who say they use a tablet, so after my last trackball puked, decided to give it a go.

It's a solid way to work. there are some things to learn for me (I'd been a trackball user for 15 years!) but I'm adapting quickly.

J

eblu
03-29-2006, 10:04 AM
i have a 9 x 12 intuous III both at work and at home, and while I use it for everything else i do, I studiously avoid using it w/ LW.
I don't like to have to reach past it to the keyboard for the key commands, and LW works o so much better when you have a 3 button programmable mouse. it just gets in the way for me. When I'm doing serious LWing, I put the tablet away (under the keyboard, its as wide as an apple extended keyboard).

avkills
03-29-2006, 10:38 AM
I always figured it would come in real handy when tracing something that you are going to lathe or for drawing paths or anything else that requires a pen like movement. I guess I'd like to demo with one before buying, but that might be a trick to pull off.

I have messed around with those LCD monitors that have tablets built into them, and they are way cool. $$$ also.

-mark

Unwanted
03-30-2006, 05:54 AM
Oh, I just thought it was me. I thought it was in camera and perspective views in Layout. I've found myself using the mouse more instead in Layout.

Is it a memory thing? I've experienced this with pretty light scenes.

Using 9x12 Intuous1

3D Kiwi
04-03-2006, 02:12 AM
Sorry for the late reply, just moved house so had no internet, the settings that seams to make the most difference is the size relation between the tablet and your monitor. Took ages to sort but from memory you have to set the tablet size to either slightly smaller than your monitor or to the exact same size. The pen pressure settings made no difference.

Hope that helps.

Johnny
04-03-2006, 09:16 AM
OK..I'll give that a whack...thanks!

J