PDA

View Full Version : Boxx Workstation

PeteF
03-28-2006, 12:50 PM
Welp, Dell 650's days are numbered. I'm getting a BOXX 7400. I looked at this last year, and decided to wait for 64bit, HDV, etc. to become mainstream, but my present workstation needs have decided otherwise.

A lot of good things are happening with dual core AMD's for the present. I can't wait for Intel's response either, and from what I've read the extremes run too hot. For the same money of a loaded Dell Precision, I've decided to give BOXX the bucks instead. I'll have something to grow on when NT puts VT on the HDV map, as I still have and use VT3. (I think HD/HDV will be the factor in getting new hardware).

I've already submitted my request, and while I wait for an official "yes", I'm wondering if anyone else here has experience with BOXX and their hardware. I've been inside my Dell numerous times in fixing issues, and frankly, for the money, I'd rather be working on my projects instead : )

PIZAZZ
03-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Welp, Dell 650's days are numbered. I'm getting a BOXX 7400. I looked at this last year, and decided to wait for 64bit, HDV, etc. to become mainstream, but my present workstation needs have decided otherwise.

A lot of good things are happening with dual core AMD's for the present. I can't wait for Intel's response either, and from what I've read the extremes run too hot. For the same money of a loaded Dell Precision, I've decided to give BOXX the bucks instead. I'll have something to grow on when NT puts VT on the HDV map, as I still have and use VT3. (I think HD/HDV will be the factor in getting new hardware).

I've already submitted my request, and while I wait for an official "yes", I'm wondering if anyone else here has experience with BOXX and their hardware. I've been inside my Dell numerous times in fixing issues, and frankly, for the money, I'd rather be working on my projects instead : )

Have you ever considered using a qualified Newtek authorized dealer to build your system? Service will most likely be close by and much more qualified if needed.

I like BOXX and all. I mean they are from Texas so they can't be that bad. :) That in mind... Dell techs don't use VT all the time, and I seriously doubt BOXX techs are that proficient in all things VT. If you can find someone that does know the VT inside and out... wouldn't that be a major feather in your cap.

If you want a competitive quote from an experienced VT builder then I am sure you can find one to take care of you around here. ;)

Let me know if I can be of service. I will be glad to help.

PeteF
03-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Jeff, I appreciate the offer, however I'm just replacing the PC. I'm not doing a complete overhaul, yet. My only alternative would have been a Dell sucklution, as the company likes warranties, price breaks, and fancy silver logos with semi-rotated E's.

I have access to a local shop here in Reading, PA for custom builds. However, I'm just getting the BOXX to keep productive for the present. Sure, I could go to tiger direct or buy parts online, etc. However, the corporate bean counters would rather I get an off-the-shelf solution, or major vendor, and BOXX seems to be the compromise.

PIZAZZ
03-28-2006, 06:50 PM
However, the corporate bean counters would rather I get an off-the-shelf solution, or major vendor, and BOXX seems to be the compromise.

I understand this fully since we run into it MANY MANY times with school districts and govt. groups.

None the less, there is nothing like having a qualified VT builder in your back pocket to call on in a time of need. Many times I have loaned a system to a client if they had a looming deadline to meet. Ask Boxx or Dell if they will do that. I can't speak for other VT Dealers but I know that my pricing is very competitive to BOXX's. I actually build just the PC side for many clients that already have VT cards.

A happy VT lives so much better in a box built just for him.

Just some thoughts. Good luck in your transition.