PDA

View Full Version : Falling Leaves?

media37
03-28-2006, 12:49 PM
Hello. I'm trying to create a scene where a tree's leaves fall off and blow across the ground. So far, the tree looks great, but I'm having problems figuring out how to animate the leaves. Does anyone know of any pre-existing tutorials on the subject, or at least know the best technique for doing this, to set me on the right path? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

HowardM
03-29-2006, 09:50 AM
you could make the tree emit particles on the surface of the branches, with no motion, then FXLink leaf objs to those...then use Winds to blow the particles off....

you could also try modeling the leaves on the branches, using clothFX and Events to make them fall off...

theres a couple of ways depending on what youre going for...

marcon3001
04-03-2006, 02:06 PM
Hello, Howard.

I work for MTSI, Inc. in Alexandria, VA. Just wanted to know if you are ever open for Freelance work with Lightwave for projects involving military weapons simulations. A lot of blowing things up basically. Sometimes during crunch time, we need additional help for large render projects.

Thanks,
Mark Wood
MTSI, Inc.

stevecullum
04-04-2006, 07:32 AM
Another way is to use subD leaves and add a world space deform to them. Then when combined with Howard's technique they will appear crumple and roll a little as they blow away.

I think there was a blowing leaves tutorial in Dan Ablans, inside Lightwave 7.

HowardM
04-06-2006, 10:14 AM
hey Mark, you get my PM? Email me... :D

HowardM
04-08-2006, 06:12 PM
www.3dink.com/treescn.zip

here is a simple example of how you could do it, but a little more a pain in the butt :D try and use AutoSew by Kevman to help your pain....

starbase1
04-18-2006, 03:02 AM
I'm not sure that this is the problem? Perhaps it's more the irregular flutter of leaves?

In this case, I would model a flat leaf, (flat on zx plane), and either set the pivot point about 0.5 metres above it, or move it 0.5m below the plane. You could then set up a repeating tip from side to side rotation, (bank), and by superimposing a downward movement your leaves would flutter down...

Vary the timing in order to avoid synchronised movement...

Nick

Nigel Baker
04-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Hi there

Have you considered doing it post process with something like motion or particle Illusion.
Far easier and faster to output.