PDA

View Full Version : Per Vertex Texturing ?

SlipperyPenguin
03-28-2006, 07:33 AM
Hi..

Being fairly new to Lightwave I'm struggling with the term "per vertex texturing". I am trying to get some models done for importing into a game which keeps saying that I need to use per vertex texturing.

Could someone please explain what this is and whether Lightwave supports it and if so point me in the right direction for some info on actually doing it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Slippery

BeeVee
03-28-2006, 07:38 AM
Yes it does. In Modeler you need to set up a Vertex Colour map (hit the little C down at the bottom right corner of the interface). Then you can use the Airbrush tool or Vertex Paint to paint vertices or use one of the baking methods to generate a map. Vertex mapping is only as high a definition as the number of vertices (points) in your object remember...

B

SlipperyPenguin
03-28-2006, 07:42 AM
Sorry to be a bit thick at this stage.. (I did say I was new to Lightwave)

But.. can I use a bitmap (tga) to UV map per vertex or is it a case of simply using the airbrush to apply colours.

I ask because I have a nice wall (simple object for me to start) and want to apply my tga (of a nice brick wall) as a uv map (as a texture for the object) per vertex.

Thanks again for your help

Slippery

kruemel_1
03-28-2006, 11:50 AM
I suppose your "per vertex texturing" is meant as "per vertex texture" (as in java3D). "per vertex texture" means UV mapping. BeeVee described "per vertex coloring".
Look for UV mapping in the helpfiles.
If you really need to convert your wall to a vertex color map you can use Map->Color->Texture Point to convert a image map to vertex colors. But to see the bricks you will have to subdivide your wall so the vertex-resolution is high enough - which will lead to a VERY high vertexcount. And with this id would not be usable in a 3D gameengine (realtime depends on the vertexcount).

SlipperyPenguin
03-29-2006, 01:53 AM
Thank you..

At least I'm not a clueless as when I started.. and now I have some idea and some direction to go in.

Thanks again

Slippery