PDA

View Full Version : FBX file format import?

dlwaters
03-27-2006, 04:56 PM
I got an email from DAZ that talks about the FBX file format and says that it can be used to import into Lightwave. Has anyone tried to use this format in Lightwave? What kinds of limitations does it have?

Quote from DAZ:

this new plug-in provides support for the industry standard FBX 3D format used by Autodesk, which is supported by most other major 3D applications.* Exporting in the FBX format provides you access to an industry-wide 3D format, and allows you to use your DAZ content in products such as Motion Builder, Maya, LightWave, 3D Studio Max, Cinema4D and others.

DL

kruemel_1
03-28-2006, 01:07 AM
This format is now from autodesk (kaydara->alias->autodesk). See autodesk homepage, section "media and entertainment" -> products near the end is autodesk fbx. There you get the plugin's (free) and also pdf's with the possibilities of this format.

colkai
03-28-2006, 01:47 AM
We use FBX quite a bit as we animate in Motionbuilder usinga rig designed in LW. We then import the data back into LW.
One thing you can't do is take a 'sample' scene from MB and pull it into LW - for some reason, though it will pull in the geometry and motion data, it will not build a rig. Of course, you can create a rig based on the setup, but it's not an "instant" thing.

Rory_L
03-28-2006, 02:12 AM
As a free import/exporter for transfering data between LightWave and Maya it can`t be complained about. You can send animated rigs and mesh and some surface data too. UVs need to be welded back together in Maya, though.

Cheers,

R

DBMiller
07-29-2008, 08:16 AM
I got an email from DAZ that talks about the FBX file format and says that it can be used to import into Lightwave. Has anyone tried to use this format in Lightwave? What kinds of limitations does it have?

Quote from DAZ:

DL

I've been trying to use the FBX plugin between Daz Studio and Lightwave with not much luck. First off, it won't work on an Intel Mac so I use an older Mac to create the FBX export from DAZ. Lightwave doesn't work with FBX 6 so nothing happens. The best I've been able to do is import the bones from the figure but they are messed up. Some are facing the wrong direction and huge! I'll keep at it for a while. If anyone else has a suggestion...?