PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Gelato.

hairy_llama
03-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Just curious if anyone knows anything about Gelato supporting LW in the near future...

Para
03-28-2006, 04:27 AM
Wasn't gelato tied strictly to mental ray (but still produces different kind of render output than the actual software)? Besides I haven't heard any good news - or even user input of it so I doubt it'll support LW in the future.

Jace-BeOS
03-06-2008, 05:54 AM
sorry for the cross posting, but... these threads seem outdated and things have changed since the last postings...

i think it is rather silly to NOT make use of as many processors as possible, especially when there are processors present in a system that are designed and optimized for certain calculations that 3D rendering requires. i mean, it doesn't make sense to NOT use as many processing/DSP facilities as possible. This is like the question of trying to create a translation layer for VST/AU audio plug-ins to use a graphics card's GPU as a DSP. It's there and it's not always in use. Why waste it?

Lightwolf
03-06-2008, 06:01 AM
sorry for the cross posting, but... these threads seem outdated and things have changed since the last postings...

Actually, surprisingly little has changed since then. GPUs are still extremely hard to programm for a generic app like a production renderer...

Maybe we can resurrect the thread in another 5-10 years or so ;)

Cheers,
Mike

beverins
03-06-2008, 08:25 AM
There was a fellow on the gelato boards who was in the process of making a Gelato renderer for Lightwave, but as far as I know he got zero support from anyone so who knows what happened to his project.

Jim M
03-06-2008, 03:13 PM
It would be so nice... NVidia would see some increase in sales too as people stacked their machines full of Quadros

Lightwolf
03-06-2008, 03:19 PM
It would be so nice... NVidia would see some increase in sales too as people stacked their machines full of Quadros
Hm, if you are willing to spend US$1500 per node, how much would you pay for the plugin? ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Jim M
03-06-2008, 03:21 PM
To be honest I live in a dreamland where everything happens uberfast and Nvidia give it all away.

Lightwolf
03-06-2008, 03:54 PM
To be honest I live in a dreamland where everything happens uberfast and Nvidia give it all away.
:ohmy: :beerchug:

Cheers,
Mike
P.S. How can I get there, it sounds like a nice place...

Speedmonk42
03-06-2008, 08:45 PM
If I am not mistaken....

TigerDirect had a Mobo, Q6600 and 4GB of RAM on sale for 399.

That Gelato would have to be reaaaaaaaaallly fn good.