PDA

View Full Version : weird transparency problem when using distance to camera gradient

wellsichris
03-27-2006, 10:48 AM
I have a scene where I am using distance to camera to create a depth map so i can render it using f-prime. it's a pretty poly intensive scene. anyway. when I use distance to camera gradient. it totally messes up the transparent poly's. I can turn them to 100% transparent. and they still show up and do weird stuff. is this a bug or does someone know how to fix it? it also shows up on the native lightwave render. below is the lightwave render. any ideas.

thanks
chris

jeremyhardin
03-27-2006, 12:14 PM
do you have ray traced transparency on? what's the ray-recursion limit set to?

you're using the gradient on the luminosity channel? or the color channel?

wellsichris
03-27-2006, 01:07 PM
ray traced transparency is on. and the ray recursion set to 16.

gradient on the color channel.

toby
03-28-2006, 01:58 AM
Just tried it, and with raytrace transp off it works -

Non-raytraced transp still has it's place, sometimes it's faster or just better, I always try it both ways.

wellsichris
03-28-2006, 09:30 AM
I tired turning raytrace transparency off and it works in the lightwave renderer but still didn't work with fprime. so i tried creating a null and parenting it to the camera and doing a distance to object instead of distance to camera and it works. and it works with raytraced transparency off :) and in fprime it works aswell.

Thanks for the tip Toby.

chris

toby
03-28-2006, 10:55 PM
Wow it actually is connected to the camera gradient? Weird. Good job with the work-around!

Matt
03-29-2006, 07:14 AM
NewTek / Worley need to double-check all those distance to camera / object / pivot gradients, I've had issues with others.

RedBull
03-29-2006, 12:42 PM
There is a bug in LW/Fprime (it's not listed on the bugs page)
As Worley is unsure if it's a bug in LW or Fprime (i'm guessing LW)
Here is the email i recieved from them a couple months back...

"Hi Scott,

This looks like a problem with the Y Distance to Object Gradient on the
default surface. We'll let you know as soon as we're able to determine
whether it's a LW or FPrime bug.

Thanks for the example scene!"