PDA

View Full Version : LW reboots my machine during render

Mebek
05-21-2003, 04:48 PM
Lately, my computer has started rebooting whenever I give Lightwave a long render (which is every render!). It usually happens about 45-60 minutes after I start rendering. Usually I will give it a render job just before I go to bed or go to work, but when I get back to it, all I see is the Windows logon screen. This is a big problem, because I am starting to pick up jobs again and they all require my machine to actually RUN. It does not reboot if the machine is idle - only while rendering. I can't think of anything that I've done to cause this, but it's only started recently.

Here are my specs:
Lightwave 6.5b running on
Windows 2000 service pack 2 (not 3 yet)
1.4 GHz Athlon
512 MB DDR RAM
Older ATI Rage Fury video card
plenty of hard drive space

Honestly, the only program that I've added recently was an upgrade to AOL 8.0, right before the problem started, but honestly - AOL? I hate it and all and would gladly give it up for some of that sweet sweet Comcast high-speed, but it's never running when I have LW running.

Thanks for any help.
--Mebek

pauland
05-21-2003, 05:45 PM
My guess is that it's one of two things:

1) Processor overheating, or
2) power supply isn't up to the job.

Run a motherboard monitor to check the CPU temperature and power supply voltages and see what you get while rendering.

Rendering exercises the CPU more, causing it to get hotter and draw more power.

Good luck.

Paul

trentonia
05-22-2003, 09:40 AM
Charge your customers a little more money and use http://www.respower.com to do your render. STOP THE INSANITY, as Susan Powter used to say.

gjjackson
05-22-2003, 03:21 PM
If it's actually rebooting I would check the Power saving options such as hibernation, standby etc.

WizCraker
05-23-2003, 08:56 PM
Also what kind of MoBo do you have? Might not be compatible with Windows 2000. Check at Microsoft under their list. I had a FIC that wasn't on the list and once I got rid of it, the new one solved the rebooting problem.

labuzz
05-24-2003, 06:30 AM
Have you some registered RAM?If not be sure to try another RAM configuration...

Mebek
05-24-2003, 01:23 PM
I've had this hardware configuration for over a year now, but I haven't had problems with it until the last month, so I don't think it's because of the mobo or memory. I have a feeling that it is indeed a heat issue, like pauland suggested. I've kept the cover off of the computer for a while now, and I leave the window open at night so that the room gets to a chilly 60 degrees F, and then the machine renders all night long. It still tends to reboot during the day, however.

Do they make refrigerators for computers? :p

Thanks for all the suggestions, and I'll check back to update on my progress. If you have any more suggestions, please hurl 'em at me.

WizCraker
05-24-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Mebek
Do they make refrigerators for computers? :p

Yes they do, in a way. There are alternative ways of cooling your computer. The most popular is Liquid cooling. Most people do it for the extreme quietness but you can cool the liquid down through refrigration or other means. Most popular known computers that are cooled this way are Cray's as they have many processors and memory modules. A liquid cooling system can run any where from $150 and up depending on how you want to do it.

Elmar Moelzer
05-25-2003, 06:55 AM
Those ****ty Athlons get so damn hot! But thats not the only issue with them.
I have had a 1Ghz AMD once and I never got it to work stable. It was crashing all the time, freezing, producing differing render- results from the P3s, we had here. After a year the CPU just died from one day to the other.
I had a very expensive fan and cooler on it (the one that was recommended by everyone at the time, cant remember its name anymore) and I checked for heat- problems, so I am pretty sure it was not a heatissue. Anyway, I threw it out of the window, bought a P4 and never looked back since then. We have bought more P4- systems since then and are pretty happy with them (performance and stabilits- wise). Also, I dont see any need to use AMD. The pricing- difference is a myth, a P4- system can be just as cheap to build as an AMD. I would recommend to sell the AMD CPU, MoBo, Ram and buy some cheap P4- parts instead. The P4s are much faster with LW anyway.
CU
Elmar

Zach
05-26-2003, 11:52 AM
hmm...

I had that happen to me 2 nights ago.
but it only happened to me once, so I figured it was
a combo of different things running on my computer,
or I just got hacked or something.

Mebek
06-27-2003, 11:13 AM
Just for everyone's benefit:

I realized that my power supply's fan was no longer working, and therefore bleeding heat into the processor (the CPU fan was simply blowing hot air onto the processor). A temperature monitoring application told me that my CPU was idling at 125 degrees F, and as much as 150 during render. This would send it into critical, causing the system to re-boot as a failsafe.

Now that I've replaced the power supply with a newer, and better, power supply, 100% CPU load never goes above 112, and idle temperatures are in the low 90's. It also helps to have an air conditioner running in the computer room at all times. :)

I'd say that since I had the system go through this re-booting problem dozens of times before I figured out what was wrong, my li'l AMD is one tough cookie. Let's see a P4 survive that.

mattclary
06-27-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Mebek
I leave the window open at night so that the room gets to a chilly 60 degrees F

You bastard, I'm jealous. We're lucky if it gets down in the low 70s with 80% humidity at night. :rolleyes:

Mebek
06-27-2003, 12:59 PM
Well, now that summer is in full swing, we've been having a heat wave, where it gets upwards of 95 during the day. I'm so glad I put that air conditioner in! Nights don't really get much cooler now, either.

I was tempted to put the computer case right up against the air conditioner (case open), so it would receive most of the cold air, but then I thought that there might be a little too much humidity mixed in with it. Besides, that would make the computer a little too inaccessible for things like CDs and short data cables.

Chicken
07-01-2003, 09:50 AM
How Many Coolers have you on your computer?
Athlon need very much cooler than Pentium CPU's.