PDA

View Full Version : Best codec

Exergy
03-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Hi!

I'm using VT mostly in live production. This of course involves quite much videoclips to be played back. before a show, production companys often ask me in what format i want the clips (duh) and here is my question:

What is the best format for playback when using vt for live production? (both quality and performance aspects).

Thanks in advance
/Niklas - Sweden

RayLarson
03-27-2006, 11:40 AM
I would venture to say for universal compatibility DV Type 2 .avi files.
Just my .02 worth.

ted
03-27-2006, 11:41 AM
Depends on the quality needed. VT likes .rtv's best by far!
.avi's are probably the most universal, but will tax the VT system. You could always render them as .rtv's before using them live.

KSTAR
03-27-2006, 01:34 PM
What about Newteks new NT25? It works great for editing, much better than DV it has the same 4:2:2 as DVCPro 50. I have not used it for live production though I assume it would be fine?

Exergy
03-27-2006, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the answers!

So if I understood right then the .rtv gives the best performance. Probably I cant get the movies in that format from the production company, which one should i choose then? DV type2 ?

/Niklas

amiga2091
03-29-2006, 10:48 AM
Most of this depends on quality, compatibility and storage issues. .RTV is Uncompressed D1 and the best quality, but needs 79.2 gigs of storage for one hour of uncompressed video. Also, .RTV is not a universal codec. If storage is an issue, but quality is not, use DV.avi as your codec of choice. DV is universally compatible and only requires 12.9 gigs of storage for one hour of DV footage. Basically it is quality versus storage. It is all based on your needs.

Exergy
03-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Kinda noob to the different compression formats. Most of the time there's no diskspace problem. I most of the time want the best quality, but also the best performance (the possibility to run multiple ddr's + cameras + dve's). I understood that the .rtv is the optimal, but most of the time the production companys cant deliver the moveis as .rtv . So....

which is the format with the best quality AND performance except .rtv

hope i'm not to annoying :)

/niklas

amiga2091
03-29-2006, 11:31 AM
DV.avi would be your best bet then. It is a compressed format, but if you can't use .RTV go with DV.avi.

billmi
03-29-2006, 11:34 AM
which is the format with the best quality AND performance except .rtv

RTV is going to be the best quality wise - it's uncompressed. The drawback is because of the size, your hard drive array needs to be fast enough to play it - if you're running multiple DDRs and recording to a DDR at the same time you might be pushing it. Do some test runs.

Also consider that RTV is NewTek's format, so unless the studios you are getting footage from use VTs, chances are they won't be able to provide it to you as an RTV.

I like DV format AVI files to transfer as the quality is still quite good, but they are compressed 5 to 1, making them easier to transfer (i.e. burn them on a Data DVD) and most editing packages can read and write them.

The drawback to playing DV files in the VT's DDR is that they need CPU cycles to decompress them, which RTVs don't.

On a reasonably equipped VT system this shouldn't be a problem, but if you ever find that it is, you could take the DV files into VTEdit, and render them out as RTV which would be used for playback.

I'd expect with many VT systems, bandwidth from the hard drives limiting RTVs is going to be more common than CPU loading issues from playing DV compressed files, but it will really vary with how the computer and drive arrays are configured.

hope i'm not to annoying :)

Not at all, that's what this forum is for.

deandec
03-31-2006, 10:53 AM
For uncompressed stuff I use the HuffYUV codec with avi. Gives good lossless compression and doesn't seem to tax the system. If you don't care about disk space then just you can use uncompressed avi as well.