PDA

View Full Version : anyone using motion builder and lightwave?

cresshead
05-21-2003, 02:47 PM
as the title says..."anyone using motion builder and lightwave?"

just wondering on peoples experiences with motion builder and lightwave...anyone have any pre built bones systems for use in lw/mo builder?

cheers

steve g

kevman3d
05-21-2003, 06:14 PM
Theres really no difference in bone structure whether you work with MotionMixer or not - Essentially the only real issue I've run into with Motion Mixer is IK...

Make sure you bake the IK keyframes into your bones - Then you select your bones and make them an 'actor'. You can then use MotionMixer to store animation 'sequences' for this 'actor' and start blending them...

Personally, while this is a cool tool, it'll depend on what you need to do in your project. For character animation in general, I really don't use any kinds of cycles or loops, and well, its usually pretty easy just to key all the motion then to spend time in MotionMixer trying to 'blend' bits of an animation together.

I can see it has a lot of use in some areas - For instance, I did experiment with it on some hand gestures and try and make a long 1500 frame animation sequence easier to manage by using MotionMixer on the hand gestures only. Worked, but it did end up doing some wierd corruption things later on that screwed the whole scene up (the bones blew apart, making the hands look larger then the character himself!)

Could be cool for blending game character sequences.

I can also see it being useful in non-character work if you wanted to created automatic 'animation' sequences on, say, a spaceship lowering its landing gear... The alternate to this is to use cycler on all the separate 'parts' of the ship to control automated effects, but in MotionMixer you can create a bunch of objects as a single 'Actor' and take care of that effect in one track.

WizCraker
05-21-2003, 08:11 PM
kevman3d,...

I think he is actually asking if anyone has used MotionBuilder from Kaydara (http://www.kaydara.com/) rather than MotionMixer that comes with Lightwave.

I've never used it but if it is like any of the other products from Kaydara. It will be a solid package that works, I believe it not only makes it easy to animate your characters but It includes 100+ presets from MoCap.

Oh and by the way, the Personal Edition is set at a good price $100, if you want the full blown version it will set you back about $4500.

trick
05-22-2003, 02:38 AM
You can either MAP (any) skeleton structure inside MB, or follow the quidelines as in the MANUAL. I would prefer the last, but sometimes you get pre-rigged characters and then the first is a lot easier. I spent some weeks in MB (PLE) in relation to LW now, and it is a really strong combination as long as you take the time to follow all its possibilities. I have a lot of human characters already set up in Motion MIXER (with the help of ACS4), so MB is actually somehow redundant, but it sure is a refreshing experience...If you are new to character animation and want to make a lot of characters in which the skeleton structures slightly differ, I surely recommend spending some $100 on the MB PLE (PE now!!). I would have bought the $4500 edition, seeing the hours I spent setting up all my characters. On the other hand, if you can wait for a while, see what LW8 has to offer. Also look into the Bone Tools from Irrational Number (http://www.irrationalnumber.com) , but this requires you to know your way in LW regarding all character animation tools, and they are not that intuitive...:)

kevman3d
05-22-2003, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by WizCraker
kevman3d,...

I think he is actually asking if anyone has used MotionBuilder from Kaydara (http://www.kaydara.com/) rather than MotionMixer that comes with Lightwave.

Doh! You're correct! Must read closer next time - Its me old age, I tell ya! :)

Actually, in that case, yes (sorta) - I've only used FilmBox 3.0 - Which is pretty old now (I'm not sure how similiar MotionBuilder is to its ancestor) - All I did was build a basic heirachy for our Mocap suit - I was really only using FilmBox to do the Mocap using LW models (which sucked cause it didn't like the subd's, or LW7 weightmaps in its own display - We had to imagine it looked 'ok' and wait til it was back in LW to see it working correctly)

I don't think there was really anything fancy about the rigs, in fact, I think I was forced to get more primitive! :)

bakasaru
05-28-2003, 03:52 PM
You can get MB 4.02 PLE for *free* from Digit mag in UK, I believe its current issue, about $15 or so U.S.

cresshead
05-28-2003, 04:44 PM
so how do people compare motion builder to acs4?
what's your experiences...?

also note that the ple of motion builder seems to be on the next issue of digit as well as the previous one...there were some file re naming issues with digit mag 61 so it looks as thgough they have fixed them and put them in issue 62 as well...which is nice of them

www.digitmag.co.uk

cheers
steve g

Fallenswordsman
05-29-2003, 06:34 AM
More info over at CGTalk

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65705

bakasaru
05-29-2003, 08:29 AM
And a skelegon poser model and more discussion here: