PDA

View Full Version : Better Expressions...

Red_Oddity
02-17-2003, 05:02 AM
Just a few gripes i had and ideas that came out of those when using expressions...

And with that i mean:

A better way of handling large expressions, rather than the pathetic 1 line we have now...

If i have an expression that grows kinda large and more complex than your average clamped disctance expression, your pretty much screwed in LW, it is possible, but don't mention trying to debug something then.

Ditch then damn library, it unnecessarily makes using expressions even more difficult and useless

It is a good idea, but make it for storage rather than what is really used in your scene, it has to do with the following:

Expressions are always object and channel dependant, make them behave in a better way (i have no idea how to call this really but let me explain)

Make expression not only dependant on a channels from an object/light/cam/etc but give us also the ability to just simple use something like this:

[this_object.Position.X] or [_self.Position.X] rather than [Cubenr1.Position.X]

better yet, give us arrays instead of these single channel expressions, so it would be:

AR1=[this_object.Position] so it is possible to derive a channel like so : AR1[0] (this would be X, AR1[1] would be Y and offcourse AR1[2] would be Z.

This not only makes it possible to simply clone an object and have it keep it's expression, since it doesn't derive it's values from a single object anymore, and when cloning now, expressions dissable anyway ([Cube1.Position.X] woulddn't work anymore since the object just became Cube1(1).)

But it also makes the use off expressions mcuh better since it is simply plugged onto an object now, rather than belonging to a single channel that belongs to a single object.

Expand the expression possibilities

Give us the ability to simply create for/if then/while loops.
Give us the ability to variables within an expresion.
Give us arrays

etc.

I could go on, but these are, to me, absolute essentials to make the expressions actually usefull, than the' avoid when possible' case they are now

Mylenium
02-17-2003, 05:29 AM
I totally agree. As an Maya user I'm missing some comfort in LWs expressions and it is very limited in the way it accesses scene data - I can't even have particle expressions (probably one of the most useful applications), because it is not supported. Also just like in Maya I would like to be able to have a dummy object as scene master just by attaching all expressions to it.

Mylenium

labuzz
02-17-2003, 06:13 AM
I agree 100%...You have a great control over particles in Maya and very well integrated(Very easy to use) expressions (creation expression, runtime expressions, PParticles attributes...)

Capt Lightwave
02-18-2003, 05:11 AM
Relativity is as close to a decent expression system as I've ever been.
Even the expressions in project:messiah is a dream to use....

faulknermano
02-19-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Mylenium
I totally agree. As an Maya user I'm missing some comfort in LWs expressions and it is very limited in the way it accesses scene data - I can't even have particle expressions (probably one of the most useful applications), because it is not supported. Also just like in Maya I would like to be able to have a dummy object as scene master just by attaching all expressions to it.

Mylenium

you cannot use built in expressions with the PFX system, but lscript provides such a capability - using Particle Object Agents.

hesido
10-16-2003, 04:50 PM
I may be wrong, but the expression that calculates the angle between two points only give "+" results, e.g. you can't easily change the pitch of an object correctly using the avarages of 4-5 points, even if the pitch should be , say, -20 degrees, the pitch is calculated as 20 degrees. (I gave this "avarage" example , because otherwise it could be done by simply target nulls)
Currently, you would have to nest extra expressions to see if you need to multiply the angle with -1.

Or I am just wrong :)

marko
10-17-2003, 03:55 PM
variables are absolute necessary