PDA

View Full Version : 7.5c Not working for me

NickLambert
05-21-2003, 01:11 PM
Well I installed it, tried the new DVView - got garbage on my DV device. Then I tried rigging with ACS4, and that has stopped working. Lukasz Pazera was very helpful with many e-mails, but it looks like Newtek have failed again. I'm going back to 7.5, and maybe even cross grade to another package. I have invested a lot of money in Lightwave since 5.6 - and I am not getting value from Newtek.

turbo
05-21-2003, 01:19 PM
I'm afraid I share some of your concerns.
Since c my LW is a mess..
I could put up with the random modeler crashes with apple's update and ati's lack of one,
but throwing c into the mix has made for an unworkable mess.
I am seriously considering going back to 7.5 myself.

NickLambert
05-21-2003, 01:33 PM
Thanx Turbo, at least I know I'm not alone with these problems.

claw
05-21-2003, 05:31 PM
Its sad that Newtek really cant get a 100% working version of Lightwave to mac. Its always something that wont work, either the simplest graphic glitch to unworking software. Realy sad..

I wonder what its due to! Newbie mac-programers at newtek? Or what? However they made a fantastic job optimizing LW's rendering engine for Altivec so Iam not sure!

theosmekhanes
05-21-2003, 05:49 PM
Did they really improve the render speed?

I haven't tried it yet, do you have some stats?

I do think their Mac folks are a little green, and I also think their development is horribly mismanaged. They probably brought the new guy in too late for proper QC.

I think NewTek needs to get the hell out of Texas. The heat is rotting their brains.

(Just a joke, don't tread on me Texas)

;)

Ade
05-21-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by claw
Its sad that Newtek really cant get a 100% working version of Lightwave to mac. Its always something that wont work, either the simplest graphic glitch to unworking software. Realy sad..

I wonder what its due to! Newbie mac-programers at newtek? Or what? However they made a fantastic job optimizing LW's rendering engine for Altivec so Iam not sure!

They optimised the render engine? since when did this happen?!

noiseboy
05-22-2003, 01:37 AM
DVview isnt working here either on a G4 Powerbook 10.2.6 with a PAL DV Camera.

Meshbuilder
05-22-2003, 04:39 AM
The DV Output doesn't work here OS 10.2.3 and 10.2.6. PAL DV Camera.. I get a signal out but the image on the monitor look bad. It looks corrupt and with black big boxes all over..

In fact the update 7.5c renders a little bit slower than the 7.5 version. I have tried the benchmark scenes and it takes a few seconds longer to render :(

I really now hope for the version 8 to be a killer Mac version of LW. Because this is bad.
NO info about the update and what version of OSX that is recommended?
NO info about the DVD Output and no list on how to fix erros?
Does't this DV Output work on PAL devices at all?
I havn't read a single post about someone that have got it to work.

Please NEWTEK...
Learn from this and next time write a list on how to fix commond errors and put it ON THE WEB and with the installer.
And also put up some info about what OS version and devices you recommend to use.

If the Mac beta of programer team/person got it to work write down ans please share with us how they did it and what device they are using.

I love Lightwave 3D, It's a great produkt. And I also love Newtek and that you can mail them and get a quick answer. That's really great.
But you can be alot better if you learn to put up more information and error list before you release an update.
Isn't that what the beta team is for?

Please do not take this wrong way, I just want to help.

theosmekhanes
05-22-2003, 11:33 AM
You would think that after all this time they would learn that their development strategy is not working. It just seems to me they are re-arranging the furniture on the Titanic

luka
05-22-2003, 02:59 PM
Or throwing the baby out with the bath water.:eek:

NickLambert
05-22-2003, 04:06 PM
Is PAL is the problem with DVView?, can Newtek let us know. I have returned to 7.5 for now, as for LW8 I am not sure I can afford to pay Newtek for being a beta tester :-(

lord
05-22-2003, 09:56 PM
So what exactly was the update supposed to do?
Apart from a couple of quirky plugins and optimised rendering(?)

As far as I understand the only other thing is an updated version of LScript.

In retrospect was the update worth it? especially for the Mac users.

Beamtracer
05-23-2003, 12:14 AM
I'm not going to touch 7.5c with a barge poll. I'm staying with 7.5.

Is there any way to get the newly ported plug-ins without having to update to 7.5c?

lord
05-23-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
I'm not going to touch 7.5c with a barge poll. I'm staying with 7.5.

I'm with you on that one.

wizlon
05-23-2003, 01:43 AM
I'am running it here on OSX.2.6 and everything is running great, I wiped Lightwave and all associated files from my hard drive, installed 7.0 then 7b, then ran the 7.5 updater and then finally 7.5c, it's more stable now than it has been in a long time.

The only weird thing i've found is that when using gradients the values seem to jump around when adding new keys in the gardient bar but it doesn't appear to effect the render. And Eki's plug-pak 2.1 no longer installs correctly, you have to set it all up manually, Eki knows this and is preparing a fix.

turbo
05-23-2003, 06:41 AM
was it all ok before the wiping?

claw
05-23-2003, 11:28 AM
Didn't mean they improved the rendering speed for 7.5c. It was in 7.0b I think, and yes, it was improved, a lot! Specially for raytracing and radiosity.

jasonwestmas
05-27-2003, 02:19 PM
So how much is LW 8 gonna cost for people with LW7.5

NickLambert
06-11-2003, 02:37 PM
Just a quick update about my Lightwave upgrade problems. Having tried many different options I have found LScript to be causing most of my troubles, even when I went back to 7.5 I had updated LScript to V2.5.1 & things where still not right. Having put back the original version that 7.5 shipped with I seem to be back to a stable program.

So NEWTEK, any news on a fix for LScript?

I wait with baited breath...

turbo
06-11-2003, 02:49 PM
I too, switched back to 7.5 shipped version and the unmanageability disappeared.
However the random modeler crashes still happen if i rotate too fast in any view other than wireframe.
This is the ATI driver problem tho.

claw
06-12-2003, 03:59 AM
Got the chans to try LW 7.5c yesterday. And I must say its faster and more robust now. OpenGL is faster and more responsive. And I didn't get a crash in 10.2.6.