PDA

View Full Version : Bodypaint vs Deep Paint vs Photoshop & 'Elbow grease'

Verlon
03-25-2006, 01:50 AM
Between Bodypaint and Deep Paint, is either markedly better for use with Lightwave. Are either or both much better (or equal but easier) than trying to tough it out with photoshop?

Yes, I've downloaded the demos, but I would like to hear from people who have experience using the applications also, as they will have had time to discover things I might not find before the trial runs out.

And keep it nice please...

toonafish
03-25-2006, 05:29 AM
I'd go for BodyPaint any time, mucho better then Deep Paint which I bought a long time ago but never use anymore.

bryphi77: Most of teh time I freeze my model before I send it to BodyPaint, this way you can also use LW's interpolated UV's for your subpatches. This also might be the reason BodyPaint crashes.

toonafish
03-25-2006, 05:39 AM
I'd go for BodyPaint any time, mucho better then Deep Paint which I bought a long time ago but never use anymore.

bryphi77: Most of teh time I freeze my model before I send it to BodyPaint, this way you can also use LW's interpolated UV's for your subpatches. This also might be the reason BodyPaint crashes.

PeteF
03-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Body Paint, or Photoshop.

I can't vouge for DeepPaint v2, but I have Deep Paint 1.6 w/Texture weapons, and what a chore that app is. Should have just used a good UV unwrap plugin and PS. The elboe grease is always included no matter what you use : )

Now if v9 of LW would have a direct paint feature, hmmmm....

Pete

moc
03-25-2006, 10:37 AM
IMHO....
LW may not get a direct paint tools...
or it will come more later.....
Maybe I'm sick..
Did you remember Newtek 's Aura(NT sold them)
I guess this "maybe" an agreement here....
That NT can't develop another paint tools for LW's UV...or something else..
Because Aura has the direct paint for LW's UV...as a selling point......

Verlon
03-25-2006, 01:57 PM
Hmmm really?
which Aura? I own Aura 1.0 (never used it really, it just came with the package when I bought LW5, and I figured why not) and Aura DV (slimmed down 2.5 they were giving away for going to see a Newtek presentation--shouldn't we ALL have that one?).

Castius
03-25-2006, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't use either. I love the plugin call UV chalk for modeler.

http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=2069

Simple the best method of projection painting i've found and can effectvily be used by any paint program that supports 32 bit PNG files. All you do is lay out your basic painting in UV chalk. Then export out the 32 bit projection. Load it into photoshop and finish most of the painting. Then simple return to UV chalk and paste it back on to the surface. Finish and small tweeking that needs to be done.

It has pen support as well.

Oh and it's free!

PeteF
I have Aura that came with my Video Toaster, not sure which version, it's on my workstation at my day job (I used DFX and AE). Have to wait till monday to take a look. However, I think that's when it was sold and became mirage when that feature was implemented?

Pete

radams
Aura 2 and above and also Mirage have paint functions with LW's..UVs.

Then there are other options such as Zbrush...and others.

I've had Deep Paint 1.6 with Texture weapons etc...it still did not give me the workflow I was looking for. I have not tried Body Paint....thou Sony Imageworks and others do use it...(thou in the Matte Dept.)

Cheers,

99sproth
03-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Z-brush for any uv work wins hands down for me.

99sproth
03-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Not me...
z brush is nice but it doesn't have nearly as many options for exporting individual channels to Lightwave. The only thing I find myself using z brush for is displacements and normal maps, not for exporting textures to Lightwave.

Have you ever used Body Paint?

yeah. having the ability to paint different channels was cool, butthe program didnt have a nice feel. (having said that, i only used it 3 years ago.. it could be totally different now)

Have you tried z-brush with z-app link?

THAT is amazing...

Verlon
03-28-2006, 07:26 PM
argh! this BP demo! If cinema 4D interface is like this, I am in NO danger of switching apps ever....

theory of relativity is more intuitive to me...

Maybe it gets better after a while....if not, 3D animation must be REALLY stressful as a job.

PeteF
03-28-2006, 07:43 PM
argh! this BP demo! .... 3D animation must be REALLY stressful as a job.

Wait until you get a job that pay's a months salary in a one weekend blitz. The stress just floats away... ah, the clouds look really nice up here... weeeee...

Actually, it's called a learning curve, and you have to be willing to overcome the initial frustration of the thing. The best way to do that is when a worthy goal is in site.

If the tutorials, (yawn), don't do it for you, then try to make something suitable that can be used in demo reel. Value added goals are what keeps you peddling when the scenery goes uphill.

Pete

Verlon
03-29-2006, 08:00 AM
Learning curve I understand, its like this software was designed to be extra hard for me. Right now, my value added goal is just to get the paint on the @#$% model where its supposed to be.

A month's salary in a weekend would be nice, I admit. Right now I'd settle for having my 3D hobby pay for itself....and maybe buy me bodypaint AND the instruction manual. I still think the trial is going to run out before I am able to develop a concrete opinion on the matter.

PeteF
03-29-2006, 02:38 PM
Yup. Trials are never long enough. You can't be an expert in a month. I've used LW for the last five years, and I still haven't tapped all it's features. Twenty different ways to do the same thing, etc.

Sometimes software that's intended to make your day go easier, winds up adding more steps. Maybe just a good old UV export plugin and photoshop ain't bad after all.

1. Maybe your in too much of a hurry, or caught up in the mad rush of mouse clicking frustration. Take a step back, go outside for a walk. Get away from the **** thing. The issue your having may be an overlooked step or setting. Ever forget to plug something in? Add water to coffee pot? Stuff happens.

2. Find another tutorial that explains it in a language that you understand. A different approach can make a difference.

SplineGod
03-29-2006, 03:33 PM
I wouldn't use either. I love the plugin call UV chalk for modeler.

http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=2069

Simple the best method of projection painting i've found and can effectvily be used by any paint program that supports 32 bit PNG files. All you do is lay out your basic painting in UV chalk. Then export out the 32 bit projection. Load it into photoshop and finish most of the painting. Then simple return to UV chalk and paste it back on to the surface. Finish and small tweeking that needs to be done.

It has pen support as well.

Oh and it's free!

I totally agree. UV Chalk and UVNeter has become a nice combination for me. :)

Verlon
03-29-2006, 05:38 PM
Not expecting to be an expert....I just want to get better.

I'll give UV chalk a go after this trial runs out. I want to make sure I have given it a fair shake. It LOOKS to be very powerful, and I know the problem is at least mostly on my end (then again $800 is a not inconsiderable chunk of change in a hobby that already has a sizeable ivestment in it....).

I'll have to give a seach for another tutorial.

Hmmm....and suddenly.....I need to find a couple of paying lightwave gigs so I can deduct all this stuff from my taxes. :D

Yeah, that's what I need.........

Meaty
03-29-2006, 06:49 PM
Hmmm....and suddenly.....I need to find a couple of paying lightwave gigs so I can deduct all this stuff from my taxes. :D

Yeah, that's what I need.........

Remember, you won't be able to deduct "all that stuff" ... hobby losses are subject to the 2% of AGI limitation.:lwicon:

Verlon
03-29-2006, 08:19 PM
Ahh, but If I expand my hobby into an honest alternate source of income, THEN I can deduct all that stuff.

PeteF
03-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Yeah, then kindly hand over 50% to uncle sam at the end of the year. Some frustrations can't be fixed by software...

Meaty
03-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Ahh, but If I expand my hobby into an honest alternate source of income, THEN I can deduct all that stuff.
But then you have self-employment tax and income tax! IRS gets you no matter which way you turn.:thumbsdow

Verlon
03-30-2006, 02:04 AM
Well aren't you just a bundle of Christmas Joy? You must be a blast at birthday parties, "I don't see what the celebration is all about, just another 30 million seconds closer to the grave," and weddings, "just think of the alimony she'll cost you."

I'm trying to have a little parade here, and you bypass rain and head straight to softball sized hailstones.

Oh, I see the problem.....you live in D.C. Politicians everywhere.

:)

Just having fun. I know you're right about the tax stuff.....its just depressing that you are right about it.

Verlon
03-30-2006, 03:16 AM
was a little distracted by some other software updates today.....but now that I am messing with it again, I have discovered that I did NOT happen to have a UV epiphany while I was away.

I can't export my extremely cool and complex Viper model (could be anything there), but I am able to send primitives and the like....I just cant paint them the way I want.... I miss the clearly labled tabs of lightwave.

Googling for a good tutorial now....

Verlon
03-30-2006, 03:34 AM
and THERE it is.....FINALLY.... dont know if I would call it a UV epiphany, but I am at least able to reproduce results...

Verlon
03-30-2006, 03:41 AM
yeah, viper has some patches. I can LOAD it into BP, but can't send it from modeler.....That one caught me off guard. And it may yet be some other material issue (i messed around with all manner of surfacing that may not agree with bp).

Was clicking the wrong button for the paint setup .....read an icon wrong. I can't help it. I speak english, a little french, a little russian, and "menu spanish." I do not read heiroglyphs or viking runestones. :)

At least now I feal like I am getting somewhere.

I can't save in the demo of course, does the displacement painting play well with LW renderer?

Thanks for checking in BTW.

Verlon