PDA

View Full Version : LW 8.5 slow to start up...

The Coop
03-24-2006, 11:11 PM
Greetings folks.

I've been using LW 8 for a little while now, but there's something that's been bugging me ever since I started. For some reason, LW 8 takes a good thirty seconds to start up. It goes into the familiar LW menu layout, the areas inside the quad-panel view are all white (or else the whole quad-panel area is all white), and it sits like this for a good thirty seconds before it all finally starts and gives me the empty panel views. It does this both in Modeler and in Layout.

I thought it normally took LW this long to start, but I've recently learned that it's quite the opposite. Other's I've spoken with say that the program starts right up for them. I tried it out on the PCs and Macs of others, and sure enough, everything comes up virtually right away.

My PC meets the requirements of the program without any issues, and the dongle is always in place. So why does it take so long to start up? Is there a setting that needs adjusting? Did I install something impoperly? Did choosing "permit" in my firewall so LW could communicate with the Internet cause this?

I'd appreciate any help, as now that I know this isn't normal, I'd like to try and get it taken care of.

PC info...
XP Home Edition SP2
P4 3.0GHz
1024MB PC 3200 RAM
LW v.8.5
Newest dongle drivers
Up-to-date drivers for my Radeon 9800Pro

Silkrooster
03-25-2006, 12:03 AM
Actually it could be the firewall. Make sure layout, modeler, hub and windows printer spool all have full access to the net. Make sure there is only one listing of each in the firewall. Multiple listing may confuse the firewall(I think:hey: ) Check you hub config and make sure only one listing for layout and modeler are listed.
Silk

The Coop
03-25-2006, 01:11 AM
According to the hub, I have three launch processes. One for Layout, one for Layout 8.5, and one for Modeler 8.5. Is that the norm? If one of the layout processes isn't needed, how would I get rid of it?

Edit: Nevermind. I found the config file that had the extra process listed on it. However, I haven't the vaguest idea how to check my firewall to ensure that these things have full access, and that there's only one listing for each.

I have Norton's Personal Firewall 2003 if that helps at all.