PDA

View Full Version : Texturing help...

jhopfenblatt
03-24-2006, 05:17 PM
Alright, so I have this concept product I've been working on for a class, and I have to do a presentation for it next monday. Well, I'm generally horrible at modeling AND texturing, but for this one I managed to come up with a model that's decent enough for our intents and purposes (as in, I didn't have to do it; I just chose to). But, now I'm trying to texture this, and I have no idea how to make it look decent. Everything looks a tad bit grainy (as you can see) and I'm not getting the "feel" that I want. I attached a pic just for you guys to see what I'm talking about.

My lighting set up as it is is essentially a radiosity render--white backdrop, backdrop radiosity only, no ambient, white floor (or maybe gray, I forgot what settings I had >_>)--with a point light in the ice dispenser area (the one with the lid), and a spotlight pointing to where you can see the cup.

Any tips?

p.s. The border around the screen and the buttons is supposed to be dark; I just forgot to change it.
p.p.s. Sorry for the long post. :(

jhopfenblatt
03-24-2006, 05:19 PM
As a side note, I'm not looking for any overly detailed tips on UV mapping and what not. Basically I just want metal to look like metal, plastic to look like plastic, rubber to look like rubber, so on and so forth. <_<

Silkrooster
03-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Nice image. This works great to learn the differences. The noise is created by the radiosity. Try increasing the quality, which will increase render time. Also there is an option for noise reduction, I beleive it is just above the radiosity settings.
As far metal, plastic, etc. That has lot to do with the amount of specularity and gloss. The lower the gloss value the more plastic, the higher the gloss value the more metal it will look. Whereas specularity will change the strength of that gloss. The lower the specularity, the finish is more of a matte. While a higher specularity value the higher the gloss( if you thought of this like house paint).
One trick for metal is to use a photo editor and create noise then add a motion blur to it, this give the illusion of brushed metal. You will have to play with the values to get the look you want.
I hope this helps, as my texturing sucks as well:foreheads
Silk

jhopfenblatt
03-24-2006, 05:50 PM
What I did for my "metal" surface (i.e. the main texture) is use a car paint texture I downloaded off a website. Most of the other ones were just LW's built in procedurals (namely rubber, plastic, and a random metal texture for the bar to which those hoses are connected) and colors with no other effect applied to 'em.

So, I guess my problems are more with my lighting than my texturing, assuming that the guy who made the car paint texture knew his stuff, of course. <_<